A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 14 March 2019

White and Gold

I've done some more playing with the "encrusted jewels" technique, and put two pieces together for this card:


To make the tree and star, I die cut them out of thin chipboard, then placed them on a warm grill on top of a layer of non-stick craft mat then parchment paper.  I sprinkled them with gold embossing powders.  Once they had melted, I added multi-coloured chunky glitter pieces on top.  The melted embossing powders hold the glitter in place.  To finish it off, I melted UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) on top.  I then die cut the same two dies from fun foam and attached them immediately to the encrusted star and branch to give them a bit more body so that they wouldn't bend and crack.

I stamped and heat embossed my sentiment, scattered some Frantage Shabby White on the focal panel and heat embossed it from underneath,  then attached my two encrusted jewel pieces, and popped the panel up on fun foam.

Here's a close-up of the encrusted jewels:




Love all the challenges out there that keep me working on my Christmas cards!






Supplies:
Stamps - Old Island Stamping Co. sentiment
Ink - ColorBox Gold
Paper - thin chipboard, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - star and tree dies, various gold embossing powders, various glitters, UTEE, Stampendous Shabby White embossing powder, fun foam



8 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks amazing! Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty Susan, that star just sparkles and shines with the encrusted jewels :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gold and white encrusted jewels CAS Christmas card design, Susan. Such a fun and creative technique. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful star, Susan! It sparkles and shines and it's so pretty with all that white and the speckles of Frantage! Thanks for the tip of adding foam to the back right away to keep it from cracking. I need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous gold encrusted jewel pieces, Susan. Love the dimensions and sparkle. You nailed the challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card Susan! Love your encrusted jewel card. So sparkly, shiny and elegant. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card! - Love that sparkly star! Thank you very much for playing along at 52Christmas Card Throwdown.
    Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your encrusted jewel tree and star are so shiny and gorgeous, Susan! The Frantage Shabby White in the background is a really nice touch and adds a sense of unity to the panel. I love this elegant card!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.