A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 23 March 2019

Twofer Balloons and Ghosted Snowflakes

I've been lying low with a nasty cold but finally today I felt more energetic and got three cards made so that I can squeak in under the wire for a couple of challenges!

First up, Darnell's Twofer Challenge - one that truly is a challenge for me!


I could only think of two stamps I have with a balloon and one of them only works for Christmas, so had to go with the other.  Here's the Twofer:


The one on the left is the full stamp - the girl and the balloon are a famous Banksy image, and are one single stamp.  I used a simple "love you" sentiment - it will be a Valentine card.


For the second card, I stamped the bear, then used just the balloon part of the Banksy image, stamping it multiple times in different colours, having all the strings converge at the bear's hand.  I coloured the bear with coloured pencils and trimmed the image with a stitched circle and used a contrasting colour for the card base.


For both cards, I popped up the focal panels on fun foam and went over the balloons with Glossy Accents.


Next up is this card:

Right back to my comfort zone of blue and white, and Christmas cards!!

I smooshed a piece of mixed media cs with a couple of blue Distress inks, and then laid a snowflake stencil over it and removed some of the colour with a baby wipe - the "ghosting" technique.  I added a reindeer die cut from white glitter cs and a sentiment using a Tim Holtz rub-on.  I popped the panel up on fun foam and added a few small die cut white glitter snowflakes around the card base.

It's going over to the following challenges:






 
Thanks for hanging in for such a long post!!






Supplies for 1st card:
Stamps - Viva Las Vegas "Banksy Girl with a Balloon", PTI sentiment
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black and Rhubarb Stalk
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Lil Inker stitched rectangle die, Glossy Accents, fun foam

Supplies for 2nd card:
Stamps - Viva Las Vegas "Banksy Girl with a Balloon", AE bear, Lawn Fawn sentiment
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Rich Cocoa, and various colours for the balloons
Paper - white and mottled brown/beige cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - coloured pencils, Lil Inker stitched circle die, Glossy Accents, fun foam

Supplies for 3rd card:
Ink - blue Distress inks
Paper - mixed media and white cs, SU white glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - PaperArtsy snowflake stencil, Cheery Lynn snowflake dies, unknown reindeer die, fun foam





16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards, Susan! I love your two-fers and that stag card is a beaut. Thanks so much for playing along at The Christmas Kickstart Challenge, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girl with the balloon is such a sweet image. The card makes me think of sending love across the miles. The bear is perfect for holding the bouquet of balloons! I love the texture of the coloring and background! Your ghosted snowflakes are so crisp and pretty. A perfect background for the sweet deer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your beautiful delicate deer and blue and white is a great conbo. Thanks for joining the fun at The Christmas Kickstart Challenge. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girl letting the balloon go touched my heart. So sweet and clean. Little brown bear is so cute with his balloon bouquet and the ghosting snowflakes with the sparkly deer is a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great twofer Susan, the girl with the balloon is one of my favorites. Love how you added it to the bear stamp for the birthday card.
    Great ghosting on your Christmas card, I still struggle with this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your twofers are adorable. I’m not familiar with that stamp company, but the girl image is so cool. Great idea to stamp the balloons multiplele times to create a bundle for the bear to hold. And finally, wonderful deer card with a beautiful ghosted background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Loved the simplicity of your Twofer balloon cards, Susan. Your beary card is so cute and your famous girl will always be a favorite image and cry's out for simplicity. TFS both cards, my friend.

    Love your stencil ghosting turned out beautifully for a winter snowing sky for your pretty glittery reindeer. I love your snowflakes and CAS framing. TFS and joining us at CAS Stencil Card Challenge: Ghosting. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, Susan, I'm sorry to hear that you've had a nasty cold and I'm glad you're feeling better! You certainly created three delightful cards for today's post! Your balloon designs are both so charming! I love that Banksy image. It's very striking in b/w with that pop of red! And your fuzzy bear (great coloring!) is so sweet with his birthday bouquet of colorful glossified balloons! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer #14!

    I also love your deer design! In fact, I'm pinning. I always feel like an inked panel needs to go under an aperture and you've shown me how excellent it can look popped up, especially with elements like your snowflakes surrounding it. Great job, too, on the ghosting!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your balloon cards Susan - especially the red balloon let go by the sweet little girl! and your ghosted snowflake background is beautiful behind your lovely white deer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Twofer balloon cards are just adorable! The simple color combo and the desing make the card look so sweet. The pencil coloring adds warmth to the bear card and matches the soft balloon colors.
    And what a beautiful ghosting reindeer Christmas card! Love the colors and the ghosting effect as well as the glittering deer and snowflakes!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that Banksy image, Susan. Makes an amazing CAS design for a Valentine's card. The bright red adds the perfect pop of colour. Your second card is so sweet with that adorable bear holding a big bouquet of balloons --- so fun! Two wonderful balloon cards! Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge!

    Love your ghosted snowflakes from the deep blue winter sky. Turned out really well! Your glittery deer makes a lovely Christmas scene. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super CUTE Twofer cards, Susan...I'm loving those darling heart balloons :)
    I also really love your ghosted snowflakes on your Christmas card...the effect is so dreamy and beautiful and your sparkly deer is just perfect! I'm so glad you joined us at CAS Stencil :)
    Take care of yourself, and feel better, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A dreamy, dimensional Christmas card, Susan ... and a fabulous Twofer! The delicious crispness and CASness of the love you card is so striking ... and that fun bouquet of shiny balloons is a delight in the paw of that sweet, wonderfully furry looking bear! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. great cards Susan....well done.
    x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the image you used to create your twofer! It's striking with the pop of red. It reminds me of the 1950s French film, "The Red Balloon" Fantastic job getting all those strings to converge so well and the balloon colors are wonderful together! Your Christmas card looks so frosty with the ghosting technique and glitter! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear you have been poorly and hope you are well on the mend now?
    Your three cards are wonderful and the balloon cards are a great take on the challenge. Love the design of the Christmas card and all three cards are fabulous Susan x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.