A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 16 March 2019

Brushos and Zigs on Vellum

Time to remind you to give watercolouring on vellum a try!  It's the March challenge at CAS Watercolour.


 I decided to try using Brushos and Zigs on vellum, and came up with this card:


For the lighter green background, I sprinkled some green Brushos on vellum, spritzed it, and then let it air dry for several hours.  I stamped the sentiment on it with Staz-on ink.

I die cut the holly sprig and the three layers of the small poinsettia out of heavy-weight vellum, then watercoloured them with my Zig markers (two shades of green and two of red) and a waterbrush. 

I die cut a frame for the background vellum, tucked the holly under it and added the poinsettia to one corner.

I used red gemstones for holly berries and a single gold gemstone for the centre of the poinsettia.

You have until March 24th to link up your clean and simple card featuring watercolouring on vellum.  Head over to CAS Watercolour to see more inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and this month's Guest Designers, Birgit (Rapport fran ett skrivoord) and Ros (Mikey's Mom).






Supplies:
Stamps -  Stampendous sentiment
Ink - Staz On Claret
Paper - white cs, vellum
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Tim Holtz holly die, Memory Box poinsettia die, MFT frame die, Lil Inkers stitched square die, green Brushos, green and red Zig markers, red and gold gemstones



12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous watercolouring on vellum Susan! Love that you've used both Brushos and Zigs. Both worked perfectly. This is such a pretty Christmas card. Love the bold colour of the zigs for your holly and poinsettia. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never guessed that your holly and poinsettia was water colored on vellum! Love the bold colors and the background turned out beautiful, Susan! I love the way you framed this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Susan, I love the soft look with velum it's such a pretty card :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your watercolouring on vellum is a standout, Susan. The colours are bright and vibrant. Lovely design. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful watercolored with Zigs vellum background, poinsettia and holly, Susan. I love your die cut framing too. TFS Susan. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you used Brusho on vellum. It looks beautiful and I really like that you framed the frame. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your water colouring on the vellum looks amazing and what a striking card, with such wonderful vibrant colours x

    ReplyDelete
  8. how lovely Susan...the framing adds such great interest.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely GORGEOUS card Susan! Love the look of the vellum holly and Poinsettia against the lighter green vellum background...just BEAUTIFUL!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Your vellum coloring is amazing, Susan! You got such beautiful colors and the curling works perfectly to shape the holly and poinsettia! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely techniques with the vellum on your beautiful Christmas card Susan! love that holly especially with the gem berries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful card and the painted vellum is so stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.