A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 27 March 2019

A Couple of Christmas Cards


Still taking it easy and hanging out mostly at home as I have a lingering cough from last week's cold.  So getting some cards made!


 A very simple card in a different shade of green from the usual Christmas green.

I mixed some green Distress ink with crackle paste and went over the zig zag Christmas tree stencil with it. When dry, I popped it up on fun foam on a green card base and added rhinestones. I pulled out various sentiment stamps but none seemed right so decided to just add one inside.

It's going over to Addicted to CAS for this challenge:


And to the ABC Christmas Challenge - "E is for Embellishments".


My other card is another primarily green card:


I used a very old Dreamweaver stencil.

On mixed media cs, I went over the stencil with white embossing paste and then while the paste was still wet, carefully added glitter just to the mistletoe berries. My trick for adding loose glitter to small areas is to cut a sharp diagonal point on a drinking straw and use that as a tiny scoop for the glitter.

When the rest of the paste was dry, I put the stencil back on and went over the paste with Distress markers. With a damp paint brush, I pulled out a bit of the Wild Honey I used on the border part of the image to add some shading in the centre area.

I had some decorative paper that went perfectly so created a border with it. And I had the perfect sentiment for the challenge too!

It's heading off to Christmas Cards All Year Round for their "Under the Mistletoe" challenge.

Two more ready for my Christmas sale!





Supplies for card 1:
Ink - Distress evergreen bough
Paper - mixed media and green cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Christmas tree stencil, crackle paste, rhinestones, fun foam

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Penny Black sentiment
Ink - Ranger Library Green
Paper - cream cs, mixed media cs, SEI dp
Size - A2
Accessories - Dreamweaver mistletoe stencil, Dreamweaver white embossing paste, glitter, Distress markers, fun foam


8 comments:

  1. Susan, I love both of your mixed media Christmas cards. the crackle paste has a wonderful distressed look about it and the texture paste looks amazing with the glitter and the distress colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crackle paste Christmas tree is so cool, Susan! I do love crackle! :) Your second card with the paste and glitter on top is beautful. I love that the image matches your DSP background. Great tip about the straw to control the glitter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two very original cards, my friend! The crackle Christmas tree is amazing! I love the texture the crackle leaves. The texture and dimension of the mistletoe add wonderful interest and I love the bits of glitter. Thanks for sharing how you managed to get the glitter in tight places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Susan! I hopped over to say that you can also sell your pre-loved craft stuff on the de-clutter pages of course. That WAS my intention. Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both cards, but the one with the crackle paste is especially fabulous! I never thought of that. What a great idea!! So glad you played with us in our GREEN challenge at ATCAS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning first card with the green and the crackle paste. Striking second card with a wonderful design and love the texture from the stencil x. Glorious cards, both of them. Hope you will feel better soon x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear that you still have the cold from last week, Susan. I hope you get well soon.
    The crackle past stenciled Christmas tree is so pretty, unique, and interesting! I love the color and crackle effect. The rhinestones are shiny and festive.
    It was fascinating to read how you made the second card - stencil on, off, and back on for coloring). Thanks so much for sharing such useful tips on adding glitter to small areas! A straw for a tiny scoop... I never though of it. :-)
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are feeling back to normal now. But what a perfect excuse to crrwate more cards. Your crackled paste tree is so cool. Great tip for adding glitter to small areas. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.