A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 2 March 2019

Butterfly on Vellum

Welcome, everyone, to the new CAS Watercolour Challenge!  Jenny is our host and she wants to see you watercolour on vellum.


This is a new technique for me so I wasn't very adventurous.  Here's my card:


As the hints on CAS Watercolour recommend, I used a heavyweight vellum (the heaviest I have is by PTI).  I stamped and heat embossed the butterfly and sentiment in white.  Then I used my Gansai Tambi watercolour paints to paint the butterfly's markings.  When I've coloured on vellum before with markers, I've coloured on the backside, but with the watercolouring, I coloured on the topside.

In hindsight, I wish I'd chosen a more open butterfly with more space for colouring, but I do like the effect of the white heat embossing.

I layered it over a text-printed dp - love the subtle way it shows through (and love the way it uses up a bit of my too-large stash of dp!).  Then I cut two pierced frame dies and glued them together for more substance.

I'd love to see what you come up with for watercolouring on vellum!  Please keep your cards clean and simple, and link up by March 24th.  For more inspiration, head over to CAS Watercolour to see the cards by the rest of the Design Team and our wonderful Guest Designers, Birgit (Rapport fran ett skrivoord) and Ros (Mikey's Mom).





Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black butterfly, Hero Arts sentiment
Ink - ColorBox white
Paper - white cs, PTI vellum, Canvas Corp dp
Size - 6.5x5"
Accessories - white embossing powder, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints



13 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty butterfly, Susan! Love the colors and how it looks over the patterned paper! Love the frame too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing Susan, love the colours of your butterfly and how soft the script behind is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the script behind you sweet butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes a new technique for me too....The butterfly looks so striking and the DP behind looks delicate and wispy. Beautiful card Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the effect of the DP under your vellum and the butterfly looks jewelled! Thanks so much for having me along with you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The white embossing looks beautiful and the coloring is outstanding. I love the different colors just like butterflies are. I like the way the vellum mutes the pattern paper and gives a soft look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your butterfly looks AMAZING Susan! I love the white embossing with just little pops of color for the markings, and using DSP behind the vellum was a great idea...have to remember that! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous white heat-embossed butterfly with a pop of bright colors, Susan! Love the script on DSP softly showing through the vellum and adding interest to the background!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful card. Your watercoloring is vibrant especially against the script dp. This is a new technique to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous butterfly and I love the vibrant colours against the white. I also love the layers:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. very pretty card Susan...I like the overlay onto the script bkg.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and colourful butterfly Susan. The white embossed butterfly and sentiment pop off the vellum and make the watercolours bright. Great idea to add script in th background to add another layer. So pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really pretty butterfly Susan and the text works well in the background and the double layer frame looks great. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.