A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 31 October 2017

Wooden Snowflake and a Horse

The new Christmas Card Throwdown challenge is to use canvas or wood.


I have a bit of a stash of wooden snowflakes so thought this was a good opportunity to use one.  I need a few horse-themed Christmas cards and thought a wooden snowflake kind of went well with the outdoors / country idea of a horse.


I splattered some liquid frisket on watercolour paper and stamped my horse and the evergreen trees.  I used a brown ink for the horse that is close in colour to the wooden snowflake.  After stamping him, I took a waterbrush and the same ink and filled in the rest of the horse's body

Then I tore a rough edge out of scrap paper to mask the snow line, and did a loose watercolour wash for the sky.  I added the simple sentiment at the bottom and the wooden snowflake at the top.  When I rubbed off the liquid frisket, the snow was revealed.

I used a brown cardbase - in real life, it tones in better with the brown of the horse and snowflake.

Thanks for stopping by today!





Supplies:
Stamps - Local King Rubber Stamp mustang, Tim Holtz trees, Penny Black sentiment
Ink - Memento Cottage Ivy, Archival Potting Soil
Paper - watercolour paper, brown cs
Size - A2
Accessories - liquid frisket, blue watercolour paint, wooden snowflake



5 comments:

  1. I love how your snow turned out, Susan! The horse looks like he's really enjoying his run in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your horse is such a beautiful image, Susan. Great colouring. And love how your masking with frisket worked out. Need to try it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful scene Susan, This card will be so apt for your Christmas card sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. très charmante carte Susan, cette scène hivernale est magnifique et originale, merci de jouer avec nous chez CCT, biz

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a really unusual and lovely card. The watercolouring worked out beautifully. I like the tall tree stamps. I'm looking for some nice trees.
    Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.