A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 1 October 2017

CAS Mix Up Layered Stencils

It's time for another great challenge at CAS Mix Up.  This month, Design Team member Julia Aston (of the Create with Julia blog) has come up with a stenciling challenge:


I made a small piece of layered stencils, added a stamped sentiment, and chose dry embossing as my choice.


I smooshed a piece of mixed media cs with Fossilized Amber Oxide ink, added a bit of Iced Spruce and flicked on a bit of water.  Then I stenciled some random patches of the TH Burlap stencil with Spiced Marmalade, some TH Gears stencil with Vintage Photo, and then the word "Time" from the TCW Word Association stencil with Iced Spruce.

I created a background layer by stamping the "birthday wishes" sentiment, and then running it through a distress-style embossing folder.  I trimmed the stenciled panel down and mounted it on the background which I popped up on fun foam.

Please come and join us at CAS Mix Up.  There is lots of inspiration from the Design Team and this month's Guest Designer, Sue of Sue's Card Craft.  And if you're unsure where to start, we have links to some video tutorials.  You have until October 24th to link up your card.  Please be sure it is clean and simple, includes some stamping, some stencil layering, and at least one other choice from our list on the right side of the CAS Mix Up blog.






Supplies:
Stamps - SU sentiment
Ink - Distress Oxide (Iced Spruce, Spiced Marmalade, Vintage Photo, and Fossilized Amber), Ranger Potting Soil
Paper - white cs, mixed media cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Tim Holtz Burlap and Gears stencils, TCW Word Association stencil, Cuttlebug embossing folder, fun foam



12 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try this layering stencils technique and the challenge has inspired me to try. Such a great effect on your card, great colours, great use of the stencils and the dry embossing adds great texture to your eye catching card x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these bright and artsy colors, Susan! These images are perfect for a birthday card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous mix of colours. The gear and burlap stencils are perfect for creating a masculine card. Fantastic design Susan!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. great colours and I love the mix of stencil. Your embossed background adds great texture to the card. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful layers of stenciling on this pretty b'day card Susan - love the yellow brown and little splash of green?! The embossed background adds nice texture to your panel! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those colours are fabulous. Amazing depth with the layered stencilling. A great masculine birthday card, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool card...the eb bkg really adds more interest and such great texture.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to use the word TIME over your creative stencil layered background. Your dry embossed background adds so much dimension to your birthday card too. TFS Susan and describing all your steps. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never think to put these colors together and I love how it turned out! What a great combination of stencils and your embossed base layer looks terrific with this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the gorgeous bright background and great job with the layered stencilling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful combination of colors, and layers of stencils, Susan! I love your choice of the embossing folder - the pattern echoes the shape of the gears. Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great card Susan and I love that dry embossed background which goes beautifully with the cogs and the wonderful added stencilling in the background. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.