A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 30 October 2017

A Card for a Painter

The wonderful Karen Dunbrook (of the Snippets blog) is hosting this week's Technique Lovers' Challenge at Splitcoaststampers - "Splash Watercolour".   She's included the video tutorial (see here) by the equally wonderful Loll Thompson (of Stamping with Loll) on how to do the technique.

I first learned it from Loll using regular Distress inks but it is equally fabulous but slightly different with Distress Oxide inks as I used here.


I made the card with a particular friend in mind - when she retired she decided to learn to paint using oil paints. She took several classes and has become really good - so good that I've bought two of her paintings for my house. I wanted to capture her favourite colours so used the three colours of Oxide inks closest to them for my Splash Watercolour background.

As Karen says in the challenge, it creates a perfect background for stamping on. I put the stamps in my MISTI so that I could restamp a couple of times to get a good dark impression.

To finish it off, I die cut the panel and some black cardstock with the layering rectangle dies and mounted it on a piece of fun foam.

Karen's SCS challenge inspired Loll to run a mini challenge over at her blog (with a small prize for the winner).  Loll's challenge is open for one week only, whereas the SCS challenges have no deadlines.  If you make a card, be sure to link up in both places!





Supplies:
Stamps - Viva Las Vegas jar of brushes, Impression Obsession sentiment
Ink - Ranger Archival Jet Black, Distress Oxide (Cracked Pistachio, Fossilized Amber, and Broken China)
Paper - watercolour paper, white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - fun foam, Spellbinders layering rectangle dies



7 comments:

  1. LOVE this card, Susan!! The colours for the background are fantastic together and I love all the splashes you achieved. What a wonderful image for your friend's birthday. Thanks for joining in the Splash Watercolour challenge on my blog!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I love the mix of colours you used for the background, and I think your friend will love the card :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colours, clean and fresh. Great stamping and your friend will love it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours. Great job with the technique. Will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could get the fantastic results with DOX as you do, Susan! These colors are so vibrant and perfect for the paint brushes! Your friend will love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a perfect card for your friend, Susan. Love the colors on your background! How beautiful they look! I'm sure she'll love this particularly with that cool image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your background and images Susan - I'm sure your friend will truly love this personalized b'day card you made for her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.