A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 2 October 2017

Oak and Aspen

We're into autumn now.  After such a glorious summer in Vancouver, it's hard to say goodbye to all the sunshine we had, but there's something nice about the chill in the air and the desire to do indoor things instead of being out in the garden.

CAS Watercolour has the perfect challenge this month:


And it is an extra special month to enter as it is our 1st birthday!


In honour of it, there are prizes!!

$25 Gift Certificate to Simon Says Stamp for Challenge Winner
&
$25 Gift Certificate to Simon Says Stamp for one random draw of all entries
 (must follow rules to be eligible for prizes)
Here's my card to hopefully inspire you:


I did the leaves in my MISTI by dabbing Distress stains onto the stamps, then spritzing with water before stamping onto watercolour paper.  I was really pleased with the way the colours blended.  For the aspen leaf, I used Wild Honey and Rusty Hinge, and for the oak leaf, Brushed Corduroy and Tea Dye.   When dry, I fussy cut them.

I stamped the splashes stamp from the same set (SU French Foliage) and a small sentiment onto the same watercolour paper, then die cut a centre panel with a stitched die that has the stitching on both sides of the cut line.  I die cut two more panels to match, saving the centre pieces for future projects, and gluing the outer pieces together to create dimension for my frame. 

I glued the stems and top edges onto my panel, and then put rolled pieces of double-sided tape under the lower parts of the leaves to add some dimension.

Head on over to CAS Watercolour for more inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and our fabulous Guest Designer, Marcia of Marcia's Stampin' Pad.  And then link up your card!  Please remember to keep your card CAS, use watercolour in some way, and follow the theme of Fall Leaves.  You have until October 24th to enter.





Supplies:
Stamps - SU French Foliage, unknown sentiment
Ink - SU Baked Brown Sugar
Paper - PTI Vintage Cream cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - Distress Stains (Rusty Hinge, Wild Honey, Aged Mahogany, Tea Dye), twine, fun foam



15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Distress Stain watercolouring of your beautiful Fall fussy cut leaves. One of my all time favorite SU Stamp sets my friend. I love your die cut inlaid framing and CAS design. TFS Susan. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a BEAUTIFUL card Susan...I absolutely LOVE those leaves with the distress stain on them! The colors blended so beautifully and fantastic job on the fussy cutting! I love to fussy cut too and every one thinks I'm nuts, so it's nice to see someone else that does it too! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! I had forgotten that I owned this set. What a spectacular job you did with this and your framing set it off so beautifully! Thanks for the reminder to dust mine off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and inspiring, Susan. I don't remember that set, but you're right. It's beautiful. Love your frames. Trina xx
    ps. happy first bday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my all time favorite stamp sets and I LOVE the way you've done the colors! They look so realistic! And that frame is awesome! A beautiful Fall card, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colours of your leaves are amazing, Susan. Love the beautiful and warm colours of Autumn. And you are right, it's nice to have the chill and crispness of fall days here with cooler nights. My favourite time of year! The splashes stamping is just perfect for the background, especially in the light colour you've used ... awesome! And the framing adds wonderful dimension. Thank you for being on the CAS Watercolour team for the past year. It's been a great time, my dear friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. spectacular Susan, your colours are perfect and I love the delicate splattering. awesome card :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the effect you have got with the water colouring. Great colour choice and stunning layout....Thank you for all the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  9. love, love the look you achieved on your beautiful leaves mf.
    Great card, perfect for Fall.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so elegant and beautiful CAS fall card, Susan! I love the colors of the leaves and the way you stamped. I have this stamp set, so I'll CASE your card! Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mix of colors make for such realistic fall leaves Susan - and that splatter stamp is perfect - at first I thought you had just splattered ink - a beautiful card! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How pretty the leaves are Susan, and I love your stitched frame and inner which give it a really clean and elegant look. A beautiful card! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully blended colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Stunning, the design, the colors, the entire creation! Perfection in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A really effective technique and a beautiful frame.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.