A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 9 October 2017

Hot and Spicy Christmas Card

The new Less is More challenge is to use hot and spicy colours:


I wanted to try and get some nice red backgrounds made for Christmas cards so sprinkled some red and orange brushos on mixed media cs and spritzed with water and then created this card:


I stamped my bird  / holly / text stamp onto a nice bright section of it and heat embossed.  I diluted a bit of red brusho on my palette and painted the bird to intensify its colour.

I trimmed the piece, popped it up on fun foam, bordered with a stitched square, and added gold gemstones to the holly berries.

I've still got a nice piece of background to use for another card.





Supplies:
Stamps - Memory Box Scripted Holly Bird
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - white and mixed media cs
Size - 4.25" square
Accessories - red and orange brushos, clear embossing powder, gold gemstones, Lil Inker stitched square die, fun foam



10 comments:

  1. Lovely make, super colours and I am loving the faux stitching

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, novel way to use that stamp, Susan! Love the vibrant Christmas red you created for your background and it looks superb embossed in black. I love how you highlighted the bird but intensifying the color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job getting such bold and bright colours from Brushos. Love the shine from the black heat embossing and the gold gem accents. Lovely Christmas card, Susan. Thank you for joining us this week at Less is More.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this rich, red background, Susan! The black embossing is so elegant on it and I love how you've added extra paint on that pretty bird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really hot and spicy! LOVE these colours, Susan. And love your design. The gold berries are a nice touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous backgound for your image, the colours are so intense :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One hot and spicy card...stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning card, Susan ! Love this hot and spicy background you obtained with your brushos. The black embossing on it pops up so beautifully ! The perfect final touch with these golden gems ! A fabulous CAS take on our challenge. Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at Less is More !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply exquisite Susan! A stunning mix of hot colours and a fabulous CAS design. Just beautiful and the addition of the gems make a truly elegant touch. Thanks for joining us at Less is More

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.