A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 26 January 2020

Vintage Santa

Every so often I really enjoy making an old-fashioned or vintage-style card.

I love this very old-fashioned looking Santa stamp.  I think it looks more like the old European images - where they call Santa "Saint Nicholas".  

I stamped it with Vintage Photo Distress ink and then pulled the colour out of Santa's coat with my Elegant Writer - it gives all the lovely tones of brown, black, tan, etc.  I then used coloured pencils to add subtle colour to the toys, little tree, Santa's face, etc.  I trimmed the panel with a stitched square die.

I stenciled random bits of text around the Santa with Antique Linen Distress ink, and then sponged over it with Antique Linen.  I darkened up the edges by sponging some Tea Dye and Vintage Photo ink.  Finished it off with a few flicks of water.

The sentiment (it sounds like an old-fashioned Christmas greeting to me) is stamped in brown and die cut with an oval, and then sponged in the same colours. 

I'm entering the card in a few challenges:

A Vintage Journey - "We're All Getting Older" - make your project look old with distressing, weathering, aging, etc.











Supplies:
Stamps - SU Father Christmas
Ink - Distress Antique Linen, Vintage Photo, Tea Dye
Paper - mixed media and white cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - text stencil, Lil Inker stitched square die, Spellbinders small oval die, fun foam

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful vintage Christmas card and the 'colouring' of Santa is fabulous and perfectly in keeping with the whole feel and style of your wonderful card Susan x. Fabulous mixed media card x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful vintage style card Susan. I love this image and it is perfect in tones of brown. Great additions with the sponging and stenciling in the background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the distressed aged colours and effect with your Santa card. The elegant writer really adds the perfect touch of colour to his coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely vintage card, Susan! Love this old fashioned St. Nicholas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the image to the colours to the stencilling details, this card screams vintage. Fabulous old fashioned St. Nicholas card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great vintage card, Susan. I love the random bits of text and the great vintage image. He really is a St, Nicholas!

    Thanks for taking part in the January Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely vintage card. Thank you for joining the Anything Christmas Challenge with optional twist of "Old Fashioned Christmas" at 12 Months Of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did everything right to give this card a vintage-look, Susan! Wonderful job of the ink color choice, the use of an Elegant Writer, the added colors with colored pencils, the edging/sponging, and the water splatters!
    This vintage Santa must be very happy to look as he does.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a delightful vintage image, and the inky edges draw the eye inwards so well. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey this month.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great coloring on your vintage Santa with the Elegant Writer Susan - I need to try that technique more - love the partial stenciling on your background too! thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.