A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 23 January 2020

A New Star Stencil


Sneaking in under the wire for the CAS Stencil Challenge "Use a New Stencil".

I love stars as a theme and I seem to end up buying more stencils, dies, and stamps that have stars than any reasonable human being needs.  I recently bought the Hero Arts Stars Pattern stencil so pulled it out for this card.  It was inspired by two of this week's SCS challenges, the Technique Lover's Challenge "Paint Swiping" and the CAS "Inspirational" challenge.


For the paint swiped technique, I followed the SCS tutorial here.  I added dabs of two Distress paints across the centre of my mixed media panel and then took a baby wipe, scrunched it up, and swiped some of the paint blobs upwards and some downwards.  Then I added a couple of dabs of an opalescent blue paint and repeated with the baby wipe.

Then I stamped and heat embossed the inspirational sentiment, before stencilling the silver glitter paste stars around it. I had some silver glitter cs that matched perfectly so bordered it with that and then popped it up on fun foam for some dimension.

I really like the effect of the paint swiping and will use it again for backgrounds.







Supplies:
Stamps - Stampabilities sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - mixed media cs, white cs, silver glitter c
Size - A2
Accessories - Hero Arts stars stencil, Distress Paint (Faded Jeans, Tumbled Glass), Art Alchemy Opal Magic Blue acrylic paint, Bo Bunny silver glitter paste, Ranger Polysparkle embossing powder, fun foam

5 comments:

  1. Very artsy Susan, love the effect of the paint swiping :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool technique. I need to try it! Looks fantastic with your glitter stars. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love this sentiment Susan and wow to your fabulous swiping background x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great background technique, Susan! Can't wait to try that! Love the sparkly stars and that wonderful sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful swiping background with the sparkly stenciled stars, Susan! Love the sentiment too.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.