A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 3 January 2020

Sprayed and Glittered Holly Tag

Christmas is only just over and away we go with a new series of CAS Christmas Card Challenges!  Christine is our host this month and she has challenged us to put a tag on our cards.


Here's my card:


I had more trouble making the tag than I'd expected.  I wanted to use some of my sprays and get a rich shimmery background for the gold embossing.  The first time I sprayed, I left it to dry, and came back to a blobby mess as the cs warped and the colours pooled horribly.  So I tried again and weighted down the cs to keep it flat while it dried.  Once dry I used my Dreamweaver gold embossing paste over the holly stencil and left it to dry.   I came back to discover that the gold embossing paste had dried the colour of the background - it had obviously absorbed the pigment from the sprays!

So I then placed the stencil back over the embossing paste and went over it again with Bo Bunny gold glitter embossing paste, hoping that would dry gold - it's not as gold as it should be but at least it has more contrast to the background than the Dreamweaver gold paste had!  I trimmed the piece down and created the tag top with a SU punch.

I die cut a wonky stitched background panel and sentiment, flicked some of the spray over the background panel, found a piece of gold ribbon that matched quite well, and was glad to call it done!

You have until January 24th to make and post a Christmas card with a tag on it.  If you need more inspiration, head over to CAS Christmas and see what the rest of the Design Team and this month's wonderful Guest Designer, Jane (Onions and Paper) made.

Happy New Year to all who join in with CAS Christmas challenges!








Supplies:
Paper - mixed media and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - SU tag punch, Tim Holtz holly stencil, Dreamweaver gold embossing paste, Bo Bunny gold glitter embossing paste, gold ribbon

12 comments:

  1. Susan, I am so sorry you had such trouble with this one little tag, but it looks like it was worth it in the end because it really is quite stunning and I bet even more so in real life! And the bow matches perfectly too! Happy New Year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan you tag is beautiful even though you had trouble with it. Lovely card. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a journey, Susan, but so worth all the effort to get to this gorgeous tag! I love how you've splattered the spray in the background and how that gold ribbon matches the gold glitter perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan consider it a learning process because what you ended up with is gorgeous. I love the depth of colour with the red soaking into the gold. It was even better IRL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a gorgeous tag...love the look mf.
    Happy New Year blessings.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the trouble was worth it, Susan, and you’ve achieved the richness of colour you were going for. The tag and sparkle is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you persevered with this amazing tag Susan. It's gorgeous with the rich red and sparkly gold embossing. The gold ribbon is the icing on the cake! Makes a fabulous tag card with the splatters of red in the background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you persevered with the tag because the end result is like richly figured velvet and i bet you couldn't have achieved that effect if you'd been aiming for it. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was worth the perseverance Susan...that tag/card is absolutely GORGEOUS!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning card Susan. I am so glad you persevered and love the colour combination. A real stunner x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous tag, Susan!! Doesn't look like you had any problems with it! Great bow and delicate sentiment too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.