A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 9 November 2018

Stars, Encrusted and Embossed

For November's CAS Mix Up, Bonnie is challenging us to use embossing folders.


I'm hoping to make more than one card for this challenge as there are so many wonderful ways to use embossing folders, but for today I've gone with their original purpose of creating an embossed impression on cardstock.


To meet the CAS Mix Up requirements, I have embossing folder, stamping, encrusted jewel technique, die cutting, and heat embossing.

I started by die cutting a star from thin chipboard, then placed it on a warm grill on top of a layer of non-stick craft mat then parchment paper.  I sprinkled it with gold embossing powders.  Once they had melted, I added multi-coloured chunky glitter pieces and tiny star glitter on top.  The melted embossing powders hold the glitter in place.  To finish it off, I melted UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) on top.  I then die cut the star from fun foam and attached it immediately to the encrusted jewel star to give it a bit more body so that it wouldn't bend and crack.

I used a star embossing folder for the background, bordered it with a frame cut from gold shimmer cs, added a heat embossed sentiment, and hung the star with fine gold thread from the frame.

Here's a close-up from a different angle to show the dimension of the embossing folder and the wonderful "jewels" in the star:


I hope you like it!




Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black sentiment
Ink - ColorBox gold
Paper - gold shimmer and white cs, thin chipboard
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - Spellbinders star and square dies, Sizzix embossing folder, gold embossing powder, UTEE, various chunky glitter and star glitter, fun foam, thin gold thread



13 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, Susan! I've tried this and always end up with the cracking. Yours is incredibly beautiful. Love the gold frame and the matching star embossing folder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAS perfection Susan and I just LOVE that jewel encrusted star...boy does that sparkle and shine!! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you using an EF for what it are intended for. The embossed stars adds just the perfect subtle texture for that standout encrusted jewel star. A very classy card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Susan, this is one of the most gorgeous EJs I've seen and I'm in love with how you showcased it to be the - have to say it - STAR of the show!! ❤Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your encrusted jewel star is gorgeous, Susan! I love how you've used the little star sequins on it! And the embossed star background is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful card and stunning Jewel encrusted star. Great use of the embossing folder too X.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous jewel encrusted star, Susan. I love all your layers of gold EB powders and added sparkly stars. Your dry embossed background and gold frame are the perfect way to show off your beautiful star. TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up, my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty card Susan. I love your encrusted star ... so pretty, especially with the addition of the star glitter. Beautiful design with the star embossed backing and gold frame. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, your star is so sparkly with it's encrusted jewels. Great mix with the embossed star background :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your encrusted jewel star, Susan! It's sooo shiny and pretty! The echoing background star embossing is a wonderful idea. The square shape and the gold frame are perfect for highlighting the jewel star.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Christmas card Susan love the Jewel Encrusted Technique on the Star!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful is your star Susan! love the jewels added and the pretty panel of embossed stars behind it! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that encrusted star is stunningly special. The dry embossing repeats the theme and the frame is the perfect window for this special focal point. All IS bright, this card is special! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.