A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 6 November 2018

Pine Tree with Magicals

I was thrilled to be asked to be one of the November Guest Designers for the SCS Color Challenge. This is my first card for it.  Here are this week's colours:


The colour on the right is silver.  The dessert option (just for fun) is to use heat embossing.

Here's my card:


I don't have Stampin Up ink or papers so have to get as close as I can with the supplies I have.

To get the first two colours, I used different Magicals powders. I sprinkled them on mixed media cs and spritzed with water, getting them to dissolve and flow. They give some lovely shimmer to the background that, unfortunately, I could not capture in my photo.

I die cut the pine tree using mixed media cs. I pressed a couple of shades of green and one of brown on my craft sheet, spritzed with water, and did the splash technique on the tree, continuing to add and blend colour until I got something close to the dark green in the challenge.

For the silver, I die cut a silver glitter star and stamped and heat embossed the sentiment in silver - heat embossing is the dessert option this week.

To assemble the card, I die cut two more pine trees out of white cs, glued them together, then glued my green one slightly offset to give a slight white edge for more contrast from the background colours and to give a little impression of snow on the branches.

I die cut two white snowbanks, one of which has the sentiment on it.

There's no deadline for entering a SCS challenge so if ever these colours inspire you, head on over to the SCS CC712 Cabana Party in the Silver Meadow challenge.  And I'll be back next Tuesday with another card in the colours of that week's challenge!





Supplies:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - ColorBox silver; Distress Mowed Lawn, Peeled Paint, Frayed Burlap
Paper - silver glitter, white, and mixed media cs
Size - 6x4.25"
Accessories - various aqua and green Magicals, Stampendous Silver Tinsel embossing powder, Tim Holtz Pine Tree Bigz die, sloped hills dies, small star die



9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Susan. What a great way to use the colours from the challenge. Beautiful winter scene. I bet it's really shimmery in real life using the magicals. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Susan on being chosen the Color Challenge Guest Designer. I LOVE how well you matched your Magical colors by blending to match the SU colors. LOVE your gorgeous Magicals background for your beautiful die cut stacked and smooshed with Magicals watercoloring. Your snow bank and sentiment are perfect for grounding your tree. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty, Susan and I love that color combination! Love that tree die cut too as well as the effects of your magicals. This looks like it was so fun to do too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, you created a remarkable background using the Magicals to get colors so closely related to those for the challenge. The die cut tree is beautiful. Great card, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty forest scene, Susan! The sky is so pretty and I know it shimmers beautifully! I don't know why the camera never sees it. The splash technique was perfect to give the tree dimension and the look of texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shimmery and artsy and very contemporary Christmas card X

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect combo which I would have never thought of. The tree and background scene go so well together and I love the splashing ...giving a modern art appeal to this beautiful card xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on GD. So clever of you to use products you already have to create the colours you need. The splash technique gives wonderful texture. I can just imagine how shimmery and glorious it is IRL. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the GD spot at SCS Color Challenge, Susan! This is so artsy and gorgeous. I love the shimmery Magicals light blue background and the splashed die-cut tree! Both effects are fabulous. And you did a fantastic job matching the colors without using SU products.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.