A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 3 November 2018

Starry Santa


We're getting close to the time when we need to have enough Christmas cards made so here's hoping the CAS Christmas Challenge will get you inspired to make one using November's theme:


I went with a very old stamp - Stampin Up's Star Santa.  I love the way he's juggling those stars!

I stamped in Archival on hot press watercolour paper, painted him with my Gansai Tambi paints (they include a metallic gold that I used for the stars),  and added a heat embossed sentiment.

I trimmed the panel with an A2 matting die.  That left me with plenty of space on the right hand side to use an old star border punch I've had forever so that I could add interest to the panel by layering it over a gold shimmer cs piece.

Here's a close-up photo:


Love the punched stars allowing the gold to peek through and echo the stars Santa is juggling!  And love having used two really old things - I think both the Santa stamp and star border punch were bought in the first year or two of my card making!

Head on over to see what the rest of the Design Team, this month's host, Christine, and our great Guest Designer, Pam (Expressions with Heart) have made to inspire you.  You have until November 24th to add your link.  Please keep your card clean and simple, and follow this month's theme of Santa.




Supplies:
Stamps - SU Star Santa, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Archival Jet Black, ColorBox gold
Paper - hot press watercolour paper, gold shimmer and cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - gold embossing powder, EK Success star border punch, Spellbinders A2 Matting Basics dies, fun foam



13 comments:

  1. Susan that's such a sweet old fashioned image. I love the stars extending down the edge and the vertical sentiment is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to use older crafting goodies. Wonderful image and love those juggling stars and the strip of stars down the right hand side. Gorgeous card x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that image, Susan and I really need to see your stamp collection so I can make my wish list even bigger than it is! That Santa is terrific! This card is so fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card Susan. Just goes to show we should never get rid of our favourite stamps!! They never go out of style. This is wonderful with your watercolouring and gold metallic accents. The star border is perfect!! Great design! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Santa star-juggling image too, Susan! It's happy, fun, and festive! Love the way you watercolored the coat, and the punched-out stars on the side. Great vertical (3 line-)layout too.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful CAS Santa creating Susan! I love it! Thank you so much for having me play a long with you all this month! I'm delighted and honored! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, this is so lovely. I like your vintage Santa and the twinkling stars. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a outstanding Classic Santa. You've honoured him beautifully and smartly jungled the stars. Love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun vintage Santa image juggling the stars. Beautiful watercolouring. Live the shimmery gold stars. Very festive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love to see this Santa, Susan! The metallic paint works beautifully on the stars and the punched stars are a perfect addition to the design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the old stamps, and what a wonderful Santa this is! Gosh, the star border is perfect with him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore this Santa with all the stars! Fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful vintage Santa juggling the stars, Susan! Just love how you framed him in gold too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.