A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 30 April 2023

Grey Day Cards

We just had two glorious days of sunshine and warm weather and now it's gone back to chilly and grey.  Not at all appealing for gardening so here are two Christmas cards instead!

Jingle Belles want to see us use our holiday leftovers and Cardz 4 Guyz wants to see embossing (wet or dry).  In this card, I used a wet embossed background and a bunch of leftover bits of die cut greenery and a couple of leftover die cut snowflakes on a scrap of corrugated cardboard.

I roughly painted some gesso over the cardboard. I stencilled tiny snowflakes on the cardbase with embossing paste.

The leftover bits of greenery were die cut from a piece of cs smooshed with green inks.  I embellished them with tiny red pearls. I added a couple of leftover die cut snowflakes and a small sentiment.

The next card could also go to Cardz 4 Guyz as it has a dry embossed background.

I created a dry embossed background panel.  Then I die cut the snowflakes, coated them with glue, then dabbed on bits of the Blue Ice gilding flakes, tamped them down, and brushed on a blue metallic pigment powder in the empty spaces. I burnished them and then added them to a snowflake embossed background. For the sentiment die, I added glue and the same pigment powder to a piece of scrap cs and when dry, die cut it.

 Cardz 4 Guyz

jingle belles








Supplies for card 1:
Ink - various green Distress inks
Paper - white cs, corrugated cardboard
Size - 6x3.25" slimline
Accessories - gesso, Tattered Lace Noel die, TH greenery dies, Cheery Lynn snowflake dies, Memory Box tiny snowflakes stencil, Dreamweaver embossing paste, tiny red stick-on pearls

Supplies for card 2:
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Sizzix snowflake dies, Cosmic Shimmer Blue Ice gilding flakes, Dreamweaver Metallic FX Navajo Sky pigment powder, Nuvo Glue Pen, Tim Holtz sentiment die

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful cards Susan and love the look of the corrugated card used as a background to the snowflakes, holly and sentiment, and then the second with the beautiful two toned blue snowflakes over a terrific embossing paste snowflake background, and a great blue sentiment plate to finish too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those snowflakes are stunning. I've never seen blue gilding flakes and these just sparkle. The corrugated card is a fun one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous texture ... I love both cards ... so very glad you shared your Holiday Leftovers with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that rustic look with the corrugated background! The gesso gives it a snowy feel and the greenery adds just the right amount of color! I am always impressed with your use of gilding flakes! Beautiful snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are beautiful. Love the first one… such fabulous leftovers and you’ve combined them brilliantly. Love the blue snowflakes on the second card… I need to use my blue gilding flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhh these are both heavenly and such a brilliant use of the leftover bits and bobs! So pleased you could join our Holiday Leftovers fun at Jingle Belles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.