A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 12 April 2023

Red and Green for One, Recycled for the Other

52 Christmas Card Throwdown wants Green and Red this time.  Here's my card:

Stamped and watercoloured, and then die cut it with a hemstitch rectangle die and layered over a red card base. I find that the hemstitch die adds a great deal of interest to a simple image while still keeping it CAS.

I've also got a card for Jingle Belles annual Earth Day challenge to include at least one recycled, reused, or upcycled item.  I have two on my card - a piece of a Christmas coffee cup sleeve and a glittery reindeer that I removed from a commercial card I received.

 
I trimmed the coffee cup sleeve but kept its curved edges.  Added it to the card base.  Then added the reindeer by gluing its legs right to the card and popping its body and head up with foam tape.  Finished off by stamping the sentiment.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 







Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - SU Christmas Cardinal
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - watercolour paper, red cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, Spellbinders hemstitch rectangle die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - SU sentiment
Ink - Memento Rhubarb Stalk
Paper - cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - coffee cup sleeve, glitter reindeer off a commercial card, foam tape

11 comments:

  1. Two great Christmas cards. I love the Hemstitch die over the red cardstock and pretty watercoloring. You kept the best things to create the second card. A wonderful way to recycle and both look perfect on this card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your prettily coloured Chistmas Rose which is so elegantly framed with the hemstitch Susan, and the perfect red background, then the wonderful glittery deer and great use of the snowflake covered coffee cup sleeve as a background..a super upcycling of both. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan both of your cards are gorgeous as are your sweet dogs! Your floral card is awesome on so many levels, love the image, the coloring and the way you showcase it with the hemstitching and then mounted on the red panel. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at 52 CCT this week. Smiles, Kathy DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two fabulous Christmas cards for the challenges, Susan. Love the pretty Christmas Rose image ... looks perfect with the red frame. And great recycling for your second card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two great cards, your Christmas Rose is beautiful and your coffee cup sleeve is so clever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty Christmas rose card in red and green colour. Lovely coloring and the stitch die really adds an elegant element to the simple CAS card. Thank you for joining us at 52CCT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these beautiful Christmas roses with the hemstitch framing, Susan! So classy! And that sparkly reindeer and coffee cup sleeve were certainly too pretty to toss! You've done a super job of recycling them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Christmas rose is gorgeous. I love how you've reused those items to make such a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two terrific twofers. The Christmas rose card is beautiful. Recycling the coffee sleeve is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, both of these are awesome but of course I'm bound to say the one with the pretty coffee sleeve (awesome recycling save!!!) and the upcycled reindeer is my favorite, right? So pleased you could join our Earth Day fun at Jingle Belles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a perfect use of that coffee cup sleeve ... so very glad you joined our Earth Day celebration at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.