A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 30 March 2022

Birds on the Beach, Birds at their Birdhouse

Addicted to CAS has a challenge called "Code Word: Water".  I got out an old favourite stamp for it and created a watery beach scene.

I created the background using the Floating Alcohol Inks technique (see this video for instructions). I dropped a couple of shades of blue AIs in a pan of water and dragged my mixed media cs through it. 

When dry, I stamped and heat embossed the sandpipers on an area that looked like watery sand at the edge of the ocean and stamped the gulls in the sky. I wanted the sentiment to be slightly more muted so used a different ink and did not heat emboss it.

I die cut the image with a stitched circle die, and then die cut a slightly larger circle out of black cs to border it.

And in my second card, the birds are at their birdhouse - inspired by the image for the Just Us Girls Photo Week Challenge (see below).

I stamped on watercolour paper, painted, bordered in black, and went over the branches with a Quickie glue pen and added some glitter.

Addicted to CAS

 

Just Us Girls 








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - SU Wetlands, Inkylicious sea gulls, PTI sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - black, white, and mixed media cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - various blue alcohol inks, clear embossing powder, Lil Inker stitched circle die, Spellbinders circle die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Magenta, Stampendous noel sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - watercolour paper, cream and black cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - watercolour paints, glitter, Spellbinders square dies


6 comments:

  1. Two fabulous cards Susan! Love the floating AI background for your beach scene ... it's just perfect! And I love that you've cut it into a circle which adds to the nautical theme. Love your glittery pine branches with the sweet chickadees and bird house. Awesome! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both cards Susan! Your sandpipers on the floating AI background is so awesome...I really need to try that technique! And your little chickadees all nestled in amongst the glittery branches just couldn't be any sweeter! Two awesome cards my friend!! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sandpipers are so cute, Susan, and the alcohol background is great. Your Christmas card with the birdhouse and darling little birds is fabulous. Thanks for sharing that one with us at Just Us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your water card makes me want to go to the beach (but not till it's hot out!) Love all the glitter on your bird house card - the sparrows are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got a perfect floating alcohol ink piece for this beach scene, Susan! Your Christmas scene is so pretty with the sparkly boughs and festive birdhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great technique on the first and I love the gentle scene. What a cute Christmas card with those adorable little birds Susan x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.