A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 22 March 2022

Holly and Crocuses on Square Cards

Christmas and Spring on the same day!

For the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown "Holly and  / or Ivy" challenge:


I started by sponging my background with different shades of green Distress inks. I then stamped the text over it.

I inked the holly leaves with Peeled Paint and did the berries and stem with red and green markers, and then heat embossed with the Peeled Paint Embossing Glaze - it adds some colour and shine but allows the text stamping to show through.
  (For more detail on the technique I used, see this video.)

I used red raindrop embellishments for the berries and added the sentiment on a die cut strip at the top to cover up a very blobby bit of background sponging.

Moving on to crocuses.  For The Paper Players' "Clean and Simple Blooms" challenge, The Four Seasons "Anything Goes Spring" challenge, and the We Love Stamping "Anything (stamped) Spring challenge:

 
I watercoloured the image, trimmed it with a square die, and bordered it with green cs before adding to a cream coloured card base.


52 Christmas Card Throwdown
 

The Paper Players

 

We Love Stamping "Anything (stamped) Spring"

Please share our challenge logo 

The Four Seasons Challenge "Anything Goes Spring"  (I was inspired by the crocuses on the top left and the yellow of the forsythia on the bottom left for my card.)


Wishing you all a happy spring!








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black holly, Make an Impression sentiment, unknown text stamp
Ink - Distress Scattered Straw, Old Paper, Bundled Sage, and Peeled Paint
Paper - white cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - red and brown markers, Tim Holtz Peeled Paint embossing glaze, red raindrop embellishments

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Serendipity crocuses, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - watercolour paper, green and cream cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - watercolour paints, Spellbinders square dies


18 comments:

  1. Two beautiful cards, and the Spring one looks elegant, beautiful colouring! Thanks for joining us at We Love Stamping March callenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your beautiful holly with the text showing through. I have several colours (over a dozen) of the DT glaze and have not used any of them. I need to get on that! :) Those berries look so shine and juicy with the deep red glass.

    Your crocuses are a sign that Spring has arrived. Love the sunny colour of these sweet flowers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful cards Susan, great reminder to pull out my embossing glaze :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful cards and the Crocus are just perfect for our Spring theme, I saw a particularly beautiful display yesterday in the grounds of a village Church, it was like a carpet of yellow and purple.

    Lovely to see you at We Love Stamping this month, many thanks for joining in.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful card! I love the embossing glaze on the leaves! Thanks so much for joining us at 52CCT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic cards. TZhank you for jioning us at 52CCT. Goga

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous background, I assumed it was DP! And lovely technique for the holly, a simple and spot on design. Thanks for playing along with us at 52CCT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful crocus card (mine are popping up now)!! Thank you for joining our challenge at Four Seasons!
    Diane FS DT {Nellies Nest}
    {Four Seasons}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous springtime creation Susan! My crocus are in bloom as we speak ... but I don't have any yellow ones (neighbor Christy does) ... mine are white or purple. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Four Seasons Challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back again soon.

    Darlene
    FOUR SEASONS CHALLENGE
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the glaze over the holly and what a beautiful Christmas card. Love the freshness of your pretty Spring card Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful holly and I love how you've done the berries! These yellow crocuses are perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of your cards are beautiful, Susan, but I love the crocus card! Crocuses are such a great way to herald the start of spring with their cheery yellow. Thanks for playing along with us at the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two gorgeous creations. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at We Love Stamping.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards, Susan! I just love the crocus card. My Grandma had them in her garden and they truly are a sign of the spring season. Thank you so much for joining us this week over at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful festive card you made :-))
    Thanks for playing with us at 52CCT đŸ§¡

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at the 52CCT. Goga

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely spring card!
    Thank you for sharing at We Love Stamping Challenge;-))m

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.