A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 28 March 2022

Handles and Snowflakes

I'm back to Christmas cards with this post.  

Here's a card for the Double D "Something with a Handle" challenge.  Usually their wonderful mood boards inspire my card but this time I had to skip it and search my stamps and dies for a handle.  I found a lovely NBUS stamp so I can also enter it in Darnell's NBUS Challenge, and it's between the 25th and the end of the month so can enter it in Rudolph Days March Challenge.

Stamped, watercoloured, trimmed with a hemstitch die, bordered with dark red cs, and put on a cream card base.

And today's twofer is for Christmas Kickstart "Snowflakes are Winter's Butterflies":

I've been using Jennifer Maguire's technique a lot lately (seen in this video).

I embossed bright aqua blue foil cs with the snowflake embossing folder, then sanded the raised part, exposing the white cs underneath the blue foil layer.

I added two snowflakes die cut from sparkly cs. The sentiment on the top right is a wax seal that I made while at a friend's house.

Double D "Something with a Handle"

NBUS Challenge "Never Before Used Schtuff"

Rudolph Days "Anything Christmas"

Christmas Kickstart "Snowflakes are Winter's Butterflies"

 







Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black basket, unknown sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - watercolour paper, dark red and cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, Spellbinders hemstitch rectangle die

Supplies for card 2:
Paper - white cs, aqua blue foil cs, sparkly white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - snowflake embossing folder, snowflake die cuts, wax seal

15 comments:

  1. Oh Susan both cards are FABULOUS! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Something with a Handle’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet image for the handle challenge, Susan! Great watercolouring and love that hemstitch framing with the dark red. Your snowflake card is gorgeous with the foil and shiny snowflakes. LOVE that seal that you make ... so cool! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two more fantastic Christmas cards, Susan! Love the basket of greenery and the way you've framed it! Love your embossed and sanded snowflakes! Perfect with the aqua foil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crazy about turkoyce/aqua, especially for Christmas cards, so I'm loving your twofer, Susan! You've given us a beautiful traditional design that never goes out of style and a shimmery modern sanded snowflake design! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two great cards, clever take on the do something with a handle challenge and love the colour of your foiled snowflakes, the blue seal is a perfect addition ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW to your striking second card and what a beautiful image on the first. Two fabulous cards Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two GORGEOUS cards Susan!! I love the basket image you used on your first card...it's so pretty water colored!! And your 2nd card with the foil is a showstopper! I love that technique too, and especially if I need a quick card with a lot of WOW! This one definitely says WOW!! Lovely, lovely cards my friend!! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    These are such gorgeous makes and I love them both.
    That basket stamped image is fabulous and I love the wonderful matt die cut it looks brill with the red behind it.
    Your second card is such a pretty cool colours and wonderful design.
    Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two Christmas beauties, Susan! Especially love the wax sentiment - perfect on that snowflake background!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colours are fabulous on these great cards.. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely NBUS creation with us this month

    Kathyk
    NBUS Guest DT member in March

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are both beautiful cards. I really like your take on Jennifer Maguire's techniaue. I tried that technique too after watching her video...but my card failed...but your have definitely inspired me to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two beautiful cards, Susan. I have deleted the other entry, so you are OK now.
    The basket of greenery on your entry card is really pretty. I like fresh greens at Christmas. There is no compare! Now that we are older, we have a fake tree at Christmastime. If I bring in some fresh greens both inside the house and on the front porch in the baskets and planters, then I feel it sort of helps establish the scent of the boughs. It is just not Christmas without the scent of the greenery.

    Thanks for taking part in the Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This is superb. So pretty and so perfectly done. Thanks for sharing with us at Double "D" Challenges.
    Amelia (DT Double "D" Challenges)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooo, just look at that aqua foil and your wax stamp seal. Looks amazing, Susan. Thanks for playing with Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.