A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 28 February 2019

Recycled Owl

The 52 Christmas Card Throwdown challenge wants:


I've saved quite a few of the store-bought cards I've received over the years and I do love recycling parts of them.  It's how I got into card-making in the first place!  I had received so many beautiful cards that I couldn't bear to toss in the recycling bin so I made them into new cards and bought one ink pad and one Merry Christmas stamp and it all snowballed from there!

This card is for a friend who loves owls - I make her an owl-themed Christmas card every year so I'd saved the image on this one specially for her (I only have so many festive owl stamps!).


I trimmed the owl image with an inverted scallop die, cut a mat using a blue-silver shimmer cs and the next largest inverted scallop die, layered it on off-white cs that I stamped with the sentiment, and then used a gold shimmer card base.

I need to do more of this as I have lots of lovely store-bought cards I can use.





Supplies:
Stamps - Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Vivid Cobblestone
Paper - gold and blue-silver shimmer cs, off-white cs, owl image cut from commercial greeting card
Size - A2
Accessories - Nesties inverted scallop dies



8 comments:

  1. This is a FABULOUS card Susan!! And what a great way to recycle store bought cards!! My mom is a owl lover and would love this card too...think I'll have to forward it to her! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you kept this to recycle, it's such a beautiful image. I'm sure your friend will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful Susan. Your friend is going to love it. The double framed inverted scallop is just perfect for your beautiful owl image. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful owl! I can see why you couldn't toss it. It makes a beautiful new Christmas card for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card and fabulous recycling x The owl is striking x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure the original was nice but this is just beautiful. I love the inverted mats and the gold is a nice Christmas touch. The owl image is so pretty. A great way to recycle your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful image and I'm sure your friend will love it. Too good to throw. I started stamping to frame my photographs and make them into cards. I almost never do that now and it has certainly snowballed! Thanks for joining in at 52CCT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good thing you didn’t throw this away... it’s beautiful. Love the inverted scallop die. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.