A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 10 February 2019

Stenciled Bister Hearts

The CAS Stencil challenge for February is:


I needed to make some Valentine cards for a friend so thought I'd use a heart stencil and red Bister powder.


Using mixed media cs, I sprinkled the Bister through the hearts and then spritzed with water.  After it dried, I framed it with dark red cs with a large heart die cut in the centre.  I trimmed the red cs with a stitched rectangle die and added it to a cream card base.  I die cut the sentiment out of the same cream card base.


So as not to waste all that lovely Bister colour left behind on the stencil, I flipped it over onto another piece of mixed media cs and got the negative print (or a "stencil monoprint").  I then created this card with the result:


I'd cut out the entwined hearts for an earlier project and was left with this piece with the negative heart so I used it to frame a section of my negative heart print.  I added a few red glitter die cut hearts (left over from yet a different project), stamped my sentiment, and popped the panel up on fun foam.

I felt quite virtuous making two cards out of one stencil / Bister session, and also using up lots of leftover bits on the second card.  I'm taking the second card over to Pixies' Craft Workshop "Snippets" challenge.





Supplies for the 1st card:
Ink - red Bister powdered ink
Paper - cream, red, mixed media cs
Size - A2
Accessories - TCW hearts stencil, Poppy Stamps sentiment die, large heart die, MFT Wonky Stitched rectangle die
 
Supplies for the 2nd card:
Stamps - PTI sentiment
Ink - Memento Lady Bug, red Bister powdered ink
Paper - red glitter, cream, mixed media cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - TCW hearts stencil, SU heart die, mini hearts die, fun foam





12 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a Valentine, Susan! I love the heart shaped aperture filled with tiny hearts! Great use of the monoprint too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. two great cards Susan, love the tiny hearts and depth of colour with the bister :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two “love”ly cards, Susan. Great idea to frame the hearts with a heart. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty cards, Susan, I love how you used the negative and positive of the stencil to make two. Thank you for sharing at CAS Stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful cards, Susan! I love that you shared both versions with us...Thanks so much for joining us at CAS Stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! This looks like your first visit to the Snippets Playground - so a huge welcome! I love both cards loads, your snippets one is very clever, using up the die cut aperture and also the negative of the stencil. And you're lucky enough to get to play with the lovely Loll in real life - she's so very kind and super-talented as well!

    If you're playing for prizes at any time in the Snippets Playground - do be sure to leave a comment saying so on the blog please. That's purely as a couple of times in the past folk have played won and then won something, and said 'oopsie, I was just playing for fun'. So now, if people don't say a positive yes then I pass them by if they get chosen as a winner. It saves a fair bit of messing around.

    Your life post-retirement sounds fuller than ever - we obviously share a love of dogs too!

    Hope you come back again soon!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful heart with stenciled sweet Bister hearts inside is so unique and artsy, Susan. I love it and so will your friend. Love how you got a negative monoprint 2nd card too. Another wonderful CAS design. TFS and joining us at CAS Stencil Card Challenge. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colour of the red from the Bisters Susan, so earthy. Love both of your cards, especially as you get two for one and then use up the snippets but the first one is so beautifully CAS x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two lovely Valentines cards Susan, isn't it great that you can get two cards, I've been doing this myself

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two wonderful Valentines Susan! So fun to get two different looks using the same stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susan

    I would email but can't see how. My email address is on my RH side bar. Just to say how lovely to find your comment and learn more about your crafting with Darnell, Bonnie and of course Loll. Three of my favourite ladies!

    And how lovely that you have friends with Havanese dogs and may one day have one as well- of course they would be my first choice but Cavaliers are cute too! As you say, they are lovable - and so entertaining. Over here they aren't so well known as a breed yet - but everyone who meets Dudley goes nuts over him. Have lost count of the number of strangers who've stopped in their tracks when seeing him out for a walk. I had Bichons previously, a good few years ago, which are related of course - another good breed and easy to look after if you keep them in a puppy coat trim.

    Do keep playing along with us - it's one entry only per challenge to keep a level playing field. And of course we're always delighted to welcome new friends - especially dog lovers!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pefect Twofer card, my friend! LOVE the stenciled hearts (both positive and negative). Great way to build that stash of V-Day cards for your friend too! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.