A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 28 February 2019

Winter Birds

I love birds on cards and also in real life - I have several bird feeders up in my backyard and love seeing all the birds out there.  I get a lot of birds in the winter so thought they'd be a good subject for this month.

This image reminds me of the clusters of birds sitting in my trees, waiting their turn at the feeders.


I tried using cling wrap with a watercolour wash (without the spray starch that I usually use with cling wrap).  I did quite a wet wash with blue watercolour paint and then scrunched up the cling wrap and left it overnight to dry.  I didn't get the really noticeable texture that you get with spray starch - just a bit of very subtle texture - easiest to see down at the bottom right corner.

When thoroughly dry, I stamped the image.  It looked a bit blah, so I sponged a bit of blue ink around the edges, since I wasn't planning on bordering it with anything.

I popped it up on fun foam and scattered a few die cut snowflakes (cut out of the same white cs as the card base) around the outside.







Supplies:
Stamps - Viva Decor
Ink - Archival Jet Black, Distress Salty Ocean
Paper - watercolour paper, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - blue watercolour paint, cling wrap, small snowflake dies, fun foam



8 comments:

  1. Susan, I know what you mean when you use spray starch and getting a much more defined background but I do like the soft subtle effect of this. Beautiful card :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely card, Susan. Agree the spray starch gives better texture. That reminds me that I need to get some spray starch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love birds too and I love this stamp! You've created a beautiful blue background and I like the subtle texture! Love the snowflakes scattered around the outside of the design piece too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Bird collage stamped image, Susan. Love your sponging along the edge in a darker shade of blue and your die cut white on white for a little Winter embellishments. We really enjoy our birds too. Luckily they have a lot of natural food every where we look, so we have birds all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our neighborhood is fairly new and we don't have a lot of trees so I like seeing birds on cards. This is so pretty with the blue background. Love the white snowflakes on the white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the snowflakes and pretty blue of your lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winter beauties! Love the tone of blue used for this CAS card of birds. The snowflakes are perfect for this theme. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great technique and the prettiest of blues. Fabulous design and love your card x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.