A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 17 February 2019

A Reminder Peace Dove

Time to remind you about CAS Christmas's Peace theme challenge!


I'm not being very original with my reminder card as I'm doing yet another card with a peace dove, but a friend orders several cards from me every Christmas featuring a dove and a peace sentiment, so this helps me get some of hers made well in advance!  But I'm using a very different technique this time!


I stamped the dove with Versamark and then embossed with "Heat and Stick" powder.  After heating, this embossing powder will remain tacky and allow you to apply gilding flakes, glitter, etc.  I've decided it is the easiest way to use gilding flakes with a stamp - far less mess than the glues that are sold for gilding flakes.

The trick with the Heat and Stick embossing powder is to keep your embossing gun a little bit further away than normal, and heat the powder just until it turns from granular to shiny-wet in appearance then immediately move the tool to the next area.  If you over heat this powder it will harden and then lose its tackiness.

I stamped onto a navy cs and used silver gilding flakes that have lovely little bits of other colours in them.  I then stamped the sentiment and heat embossed with regular silver embossing powder.  I bordered with silver glitter cs and popped the panel up on fun foam.

You have until February 24th to link up a card on the theme of Peace.  Please be sure it is clean and simple.  There's lots of inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and this month's very talented Guest Designer, Linda (Scrappin', Stampin', & Singin'), over at CAS Christmas.






Supplies:
Stamps - SU Calm Christmas dove, TH sentiment
Ink - Versamark, ColorBox Silver
Paper - silver glitter, navy, and white cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Heat and Stick powder, Cosmic Shimmer silver gilding flakes, Stampendous Silver Tinsel embossing powder, fun foam



8 comments:

  1. Susan, such a pretty dove with your Heat and Stick embossing powder and your blue background. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Susan your card is striking and stunning. The flakes and the peace dove are wonderful and love them against the navy card stock x. Thank you for the tips about using the flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dove and thanks for the tips on using Heat and Stick powder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning dove card, Susan! I love the silver dove has a lot of colors in it. It looks amazing against the dark navy panel. Thanks so much for the tips on Heat & Stick powder. I have an old jar but I've never used it, not being sure about how to use it. Now I know. :-)
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful Peace dove Susan, I love the sparkle of the foil flakes against the dark blue background :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dove is gorgeous done with the gilding flakes, Susan. And it really stands out on the beautiful navy card base. Beautiful and elegant design! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The symbol of peace and you’ve spotlighted your dove beautifully. Brava for working with the messy and sparkly gilding flakes. It looks amazing against the navy cardstock. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous dove, Susan! The gilded dove is gorgeous against the navy background! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.