A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 22 February 2019

Brand New Dogwood Stamp

The provincial flower for my province in Canada is the dogwood and when I saw a lovely dogwood stamp on Technique Junkie's website, I decided I had to have it.  Because it's new, it's perfect for this month's Flower Challenge:


I wanted to use a technique that I'll be leading when I get together with a group of lovely crafty women in May.  This card will be one of my samples.


I sprinkled a couple of colours of Brushos onto watercolour paper, spritzed with water, let the colours run and mingle, and then set it aside to air dry.

Next I stamped my image in archival ink.  I lifted the colour from the flowers with bleach, and then went back in with watercolour paints to add touches of colour to the flowers.  I was trying to get them close to this image of a dogwood flower, with the pink bits around the dip in the petals and the greenish centres:


I wanted to add more interest to my panel so did some stenciling with Picked Raspberry and some grey text stamping.  The panel is popped up on fun foam.

It's snowing here again - so kind of ironic to be making a card that says "happy spring"!  I think I'll go back to Christmas cards!





Supplies:
Stamps - Technique Junkies dogwood, Stampendous sentiment, unknown script stamp
Ink - Archival Jet Black, Memento London Fog, Distress Picked Raspberry
Paper - watercolour paper, white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - pink and orange Brushos, TCW stencil, bleach, watercolour paints



10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a gorgeous card! Love the background created using Brusho ! The color lifting with bleach worked perfectly here! I thought you used a masking technique! Thank you so much for sharing this over at The Flower Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this at the retreat. Sooooooo excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous. I love your background with the added interest from the grey script and the stencil. And your bleach technique has worked great. Thanks for sharing this with us at The Flower Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a phenomenal job of coloring your dogwood to look like the real thing, Susan! (Using bleach like this is one of the many things in my to-try binder!) I love this design and how you added even more interest to the already gorgeous flowers! I think it's neat that you had springtime happening in your craft room while it was snowing outside!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your mixed media background and the colours are so pretty. Great technique of taking off the colour with the bleach and your stamped flowers sure do look like the real thing. Let's hope Spring comes early .....x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card. Amazing texture. Looking forward to trying this technique in May. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these dogwood flowers, Susan! This is a technique I've been wanting to try, but never have. I look forward to giving it a try in May. Love how you've added a bit of color to the dip in the petals. Just like the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is stunning, Susan! I love it. Your dogwood flowers are so beautiful against the vibrant gorgeous background. The stenciling and the text stamping add so much interest and are very effective to highlight the beauty of the flowers.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dogwood flowers are so pretty! Love the background brushos (my fav colours and so out of the norm for you!). :) So pretty with the flowers and how you've bleached them and added back the details of pink and green. Love the mixed media elements with stenciling and stamping text in the background. Looking forward to giving this a try in May!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is one spectacular card, love the harmony of colours and stamping xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.