A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 3 August 2023

A Swedish Christmas Ornament, a Fussy Cut Dove, and a Blue Hydrangea

Last minute again for a few challenges!

ABC Christmas Challenge "O for Ornament":


I love my Swedish Dala horse dies. These stylized horses have been symbols of strength and courage in Sweden for hundreds of years and little handcrafted wooden versions are sold as gifts, as Christmas decorations, etc.

The background is my new 3D pine embossing folder - it didn't come out with much dimension as I'm having a hard time figuring out the sandwich to use for it in my Cuttlebug.

I added a die cut green pine branch to hang the ornament from. I die cut the ornament three times and glued them together to give some dimension to it.

Next up is 52 Christmas Card Throwdown "Fussy Cutting":

I did the embossing folder stamping technique for the background (see this tutorial on SCS). Then stamped and heat embossed the dove and fussy cut it. I popped it up on foam tape on the background, and bordered with navy cs.

And one non-Christmas card just to prove that I do make some non-Christmas cards!  For the Paper Players Tic-Tac-Toe challenge - I picked flowers, feminine, and blue from the left hand vertical row:


I found a muted background in my box of previously made backgrounds (probably smooshed Distress inks) and stamped the image on it, then watercoloured the leaves and butterfly. For the hydrangea petals, I sprinkled blue brushos on coated cs and spritzed with water. When dry, I punched out many petals with the old Martha Stewart hydrangea punch and glued them on the flower.

   
 








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Memento Northern Pine
Paper - white, dark green, and cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Charlie und Paulchen Skandi-Pferdchen dies, Sizzix branch die, Sizzix embossing folder, green ribbon

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - unknown dove stamp
Ink - various blue Distress inks
Paper - white and navy cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Cuttlebug snowflake embossing folder, clear embossing powder, foam tape

Supplies for card 3:
Stamps - Inkadinkado hydrangea collage
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - mixed media, rustic, and coated cs
Size - A2
Accessories - blue Brushos, Martha Stewart hydrangea punch, watercolour paints

8 comments:

  1. Susan, Your hydrangea card is lovely. The different techniques you used came together beautifully. I especially like the watercoloring and the petals. Thanks for taking part in The Paper Players challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three beauties and great designs for the three different challenges Susan. I love the pretty Dala horse hanging from the added die cut pine branch and with the complementary embossed background is lovely, and the blues used for the snowflakes and fussy cut dove make a beautiful card, and the last has so much dimension with the water coloured leaves and butterfly and the added flower petals punched from a Brushoed piece of card really make it stand out. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan... love your fussy cut dove (and the other two cards!). Thanks so much for joining and sharing at Christmas Card Throwdown this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, Susan. I love the texture from the hydrangea petals on that fabulous background. So glad you shared this beauty with us at the Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, what a pretty blue card with the fussy cut dove, all of your cards are lovely. Thanks for sharing with us this week at 52 CCT. Smiles, Kathy DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh quelle jolie décoration de noël, tellement nordique! elle est très belle, merci de jouer avec nous chez ABC Christmas Challenge, biz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Swedish horse ornament and the pine branches both stamped and embossed. The dove is beautiful and such a pretty background for him! Love the hydrangea with all the separate petals! Wonderful depth and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your description of the Christmas season :)
    Thank you for joining the Christmas Card Throwdown.
    Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well :-)
    Majda DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.