A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 22 August 2023

A Christmas Tree with Holly Background and a Stencilled Snowflake

Vancouver has watering restrictions as we've had such a dry summer - we are no longer allowed to water our lawns so I have a very brown lawn.  I'm making up for that lack of green with a very green card today.

I went with a green card base, a focal panel background created with a stencil monoprint of holly, and a smooshed green die cut tree.  I also die cut the tree out of white cardstock and glued them together for more dimension and slightly offset to give a bit of a line of snow on the branches.  Embellished with a silver star on top and off it goes to Jingle Belles and My Time to Craft Christmas who both want to see Christmas trees.  

My Time to Craft Christmas has a sister challenge, My Time to Craft, and it wants stencilling on a card.  So I kept going with Christmas cards and stencilled a snowflake on this card:

I started by using gesso to stencil the snowflake on black cs to create a resist for my stamping, then stamped the text background stamp over it.  I replaced the snowflake stencil and sponged Distress Speckled Egg ink over it to add colour to the snowflake.  I die cut the pierced frame die twice and stacked them for more dimension and embellished with stick-on pearls.
 

     

 My Time To Craft Christmas!

My Time To Craft!









Supplies for card 1:
Ink - various green Distress inks
Paper - white and dark green cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Sizzix holly embossing folder, unknown tree die, silver star

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - unknown text stamp
Ink - Distress Speckled Egg
Paper - black and cream cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - snowflake stencil, gesso, MFT pierced square frame die, blue pearls

9 comments:

  1. Two great cards for your Christmas stash. I love the tree and it's shiny star on top. The snowflake is so pretty stenciled over the script.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooooooooooove that gorgeous smooshed tree and the beautiful holly gel print as well; such a festive, artful holiday card! So happy you could join our Christmas Tree fun at Jingle Belles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful cards Susan, and the pretty stencil monoprint makes a wonderful background to the dimensional tree and in super shades of green and love the silver star on the top and the green base card shows it of perfectly, then the pretty soft blue snowflake stands out brilliantly against the black with white script background, and a lovely cream coloured card for the stitched frame and some sweet little pearls added to the snowflake too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stencilling on both of these - very cute! Thanks for sharing with us at both MTTC and MTTCC :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful Christmas cards Susan. I LOVE that smooshed tree with the silver star ... so pretty!! And gorgeous snowflake on the black background - love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan: Both of these wintery Christmas cards are fabulous!!! Your techniques have wrought perfect results! For MTTC and MTTCC, Becca/DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. The pine tree card can be entered at FarmQuest General Store challenge blog that I own. Besides farm/ranch topics, we also want to see anything outdoors/country/rural. Its current competition month is August 7-September 5 with anything farm or country goes theme. Would love to see your artwork over there! --Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Christmas tree card, Susan! The contrast between the solid green card base and the smooshed and mono-print green ink with an organic feel is so beautiful and effective.
    The stenciled snowflake looks pretty, and the text stamping on the background nicely softens the stark black.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the offset layer on your pretty tree ... so lovely with all of the greens ... so glad you shared your Christmas Tree with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.