A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 9 August 2023

Stencilled Snowflakes and Blue Sympathy

Both the Inkspirational Challenge and the Double D Challenge want us to use stencils.  And I need to get going on Christmas cards so I pulled out a snowflake stencil and made this card:


I used a "stencil sponging bleed" technique by using various blue and mauve Distress inks to sponge through a snowflake stencil, and then lightly sponging the same colours around the snowflakes to give an ethereal look.  I bordered the panel with a grey/blue glitter cs, cut the sentiment with the same glitter cs, and cut its shadow out of white cs.

You can see instructions for the technique on this video.

My Time to Craft wants to see "Shades of Blue".  I need some sympathy cards in my stash so made this:


I masked a panel and sponged inside the mask with blue, going lighter at the top, darker at the bottom.

I stamped a branch and sentiment in dark blue, trimmed the panel, added some twine and a navy border, and popped it up on fun foam.

 

GRAB OUR BADGE! 

 My Time To Craft!







Supplies for card 1:
Ink - various blue and mauve Distress inks
Paper - white cs, blue/grey glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Paper Rose snowflake stencil, Simon Says Stamp Snowy Greetings die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - SU Watercolor Trio branch, PTI sentiment
Ink - Memento Summer Sky, Archival Cobalt
Paper - white and navy cs
Size - A2
Accessories - navy twine, fun foam

6 comments:

  1. Two beautiful cards in very pretty tones of blue Susan and I love your stencilled snowflakes and the silver glitter card looks great layered behind, and the blue ombre masked rectangle is perfect to show off the delightful silhouette flower, and I love the added twine..the perfect sympathy card. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are beautifully created!! I love the light sponging around the snowflakes!!
    Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
    Diane DD Co-Owner
    {Nellies Nest}
    {Double D}
    {Triple B}
    {Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowflake card is beautiful. I will watch that technique and see how to do that. It does look ethereal just like the sky looks when it's snowing. I like the clean look of the sympathy card done in the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two “blue”-tiful cards. Never heard of that stencil technique, but love the softness it gives Your simple sympathy card is so lovely for the tough topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great effect using the sponging with the stencilling. Lovely card. Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty snowflakes and I love how the bleeding adds a misty feel to them! A very pretty and soothing sympathy card. It's always good to have some on hand.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.