A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 5 August 2023

Poinsettias Inspired by Flamingos

The new Peace on Earth challenge has a mood board to inspire a beach-themed Christmas card.  I just couldn't wrap my mind around that so I chose the bottom right image and used the colours in it for this card:


I'd been trying some techniques that involved colouring embossed images.  For this one, I used a 3D embossing folder of poinsettias with watercolour paper.  Then I started out trying the watercolouring technique in this video using a couple of shades of pink but I wasn't liking the results so after I'd laid down some watercolour, I switched to lightly swiping a pink ink pad over the highest parts of the embossing (as in this video).  I was finally happy with the mix of colours and the shading.

Using the colours in the image I was inspired by, I added a green shimmer border and matching die cut sentiment.  I lost the tiny die cut dot that goes over the "i" so added a green stick-on pearl instead. For the yellow of the flamingos beaks, I added some yellow liquid pearls and yellow glitter drops to the centres of the poinsettias.

Here's the Peace on Earth mood board where you can see my colour inspiration on the bottom right:


Please come and join us at Peace on Earth with either something inspired by our mood board or an "anything Christmas" card.








Supplies:
Ink - Distress Oxide Worn Lipstick
Paper - watercolour paper, green shimmer and off white cs
Size - 7x3.75"
Accessories - Nellie's Choice slimline poinsettia embossing folder, various shades of pink watercolour paints, Penny Black Merry Christmas die, green stick-on pearl, yellow liquid pearls, light gold glitter glue

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful design and loving the flamingo pink xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this turned out absolutely gorgeous, loving the mix of techniques, like they were made for each other, a beautiful beautiful card and so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so pretty, Susan. The soft color and wonderful technique made this card outstanding. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea to do pink poinsettias inspired by the flamingos, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would have struggled with the theme too Susan, but you came up with a great idea using the colour of the flamingos to colour your beautiful poinsettias, and love the contrasting green. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Pink watercolored dry embossed poinsettia blooms with the shiny green and gold accents. Especially love your die cut shiny green sentiment. Beautiful slimline Christmas Card, Susan. Sure has been a fun GO7 technique for August:-) I will be posting a new card to the Linky in a few days too:-) Love and Hugs....Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pink poinsettias, Susan. This embossing folder is perfect for the inkpad swipe. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.