A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 29 March 2023

Mixed Media Christmas and Cream Coloured Ponies

52 Christmas Card Throwdown wants to see a Mixed Media Christmas Card.  I did a fairly CAS version of mixed media.

My mixed media are corrugated cardboard, gesso, ink, and embossing paste.

I roughly painted some gesso over the cardboard. I stencilled tiny snowflakes on the cardbase with embossing paste.

I used a piece of cs smooshed with green inks for the greenery die cuts and embellished them with tiny red pearls. I added a couple of die cut snowflakes and small sentiment.

My Twofer is a non-Christmas card for AAA Cards "Inspired by a Song or Movie".  One of my favourite movies is The Sound of Music and I love the song "My Favourite Things".  I chose the line "cream coloured ponies" - perfect for me as horses and ponies are among my favourite things.

I love my Swedish Dala horse dies. These stylized horses have been symbols of strength and courage in Sweden for hundreds of years and little handcrafted wooden versions are sold as gifts, as Christmas decorations, etc.

I die cut them out of cream cs and twice more out of scrap cs, stacking them together for more dimension. I created a background by sponging with various green and blue Distress inks and then adding a few water droplets for interest. I trimmed it with a stitched rectangle, heat embossed the sentiment on vellum and wrapped it around the panel (a great way to attach vellum so the glue or tape doesn't show through), and then glued the horses on, using the vellum strip to ground them. The panel is on a matching cream card base.

Challenges:

52 Christmas Card Throwdown

Rudolph Days March Challenge

AAA Card Challenge









Supplies for card 1:
Ink - various green Distress inks
Paper - white cs, corrugated cardboard
Size - 6x3.25"
Accessories - gesso, Tattered Lace Noel die, TH greenery dies, Cheery Lynn snowflake dies, Memory Box tiny snowflakes stencil, Dreamweaver embossing paste, tiny red stick-on pearls

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - unknown sentiment
Ink - various Distress greens and blues
Paper - cream cs, watercolour paper, vellum
Size - A2
Accessories - Charlie und Paulchen Skandi-Pferdchen dies, Lil Inker stitched rectangle die, clear embossing powder



9 comments:

  1. Your mixed media Christmas card looks wonderful Susan, and I love the pretty holly with the red gem berries over the corrugated card, and the added snowflakes using texture paste and also the die cut ones and the sentiment which embellish it beautifully. The twofer with the dala horses is delightful and follows the theme and words from the song perfectly, and such a great colour for the background, and the vellum strip with the sentiment works well. Many years ago I was in the chorus of an an amateur version of The Sound of Music when I was a member of an operatic society in Croydon and it was great fun. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome mixed media card, I must pull out some corrugated card to play with. The horses are amazing, such an interesting stylized shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    I love your wonderful mixed media Christmas design.
    All the elements used are so lovely and makes for a brilliant card.
    Thank you for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. The corrugated cardboard with gesso looks great and a good place for the holly. What a fabulous take on the "My favorite things". That is so inspired and turned out so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful mixed media Christmas card, thanks for playing at 52CCT challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pretty yet rustic Christmas card. The holly is so delicate against the kraft panell.
    .Thanks for taking part in the Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woow, I love this simple mixed media Christmas card!
    You did such an awesome work with all the texture and all the details are so perfect together. You did a way better simple mixed media than my inspiration! :) Thanks for joining 52CCT.
    I love musicals too and The Sound of Music is also one of my favourites. The second card is also simple yet very beautiful with white Dala horeses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the corrugated paper and star background on your mixed media Christmas card, Susan! A perfect place for the pretty holly! The Scandinavian horses are so you! Perfect for this challenge and one of my favorite movies too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both cards are fantastic, Susan!
    I love the corrugated cardboard piece with gesso painted over! How creative you are to think of making this backdrop for the pretty greenery and snowflakes!
    You also created a beautifully sponged background for the Swedish Dala horses. Love the unique style and design of the horses!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.