A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Dry Embossed Gilding Flakes for Autumn and Christmas

Our Group of Seven Cardmakers' zoom get together played with gilding flakes and embossing folders this month.  We followed the technique in this video: Embossed Gilding Flakes by Technique Junkies.

After adhering gilding flakes to two 5.5x4.25" pieces pieces of cs covered in double sided tape, tried to run them through the embossing folder together back to back like in the video but found it was too tight for my Cuttlebug so had to run them one at a time - one to get the debossed impression, one to get the embossed impression.

I then tried to rub my Staz-On black pad over it but discovered it had dried out.  So used Staz-On Ganache ink instead and got a nice rich brown that went well with the gilding flakes I'd used.  I gently rubbed it over all of the raised parts on my two panels.

With my debossed one, I used the piece as a background for an autumn card as the colours really made me think of autumn leaves.

I die cut a bare branched tree out of cream cs thinking it would look good mounted directly on the gilding flakes panel but didn't like that so mounted it on a piece of copper shimmer cs.  I trimmed the gilding flakes piece down a bit so that it could be bordered by the copper shimmer card base and added a cream embossed sentiment on brown cs.

For my second card, I used the embossed side.  I wanted to do something different (as opposed to using the panel as a background.  More of the gold of the gilding flakes showed on this panel because there was less raised area rubbed with ink.  So it seemed quite Christmasy. 

I die cut a large ornament out of it and had enough left around the edge to die cut the thin frame die from SSS and the noel sentiment.  I used a cream cs for the focal panel and card base, die cutting the thin frame out of the focal panel so that I could insert the gilded thin frame into it.  I added a bit of metallic cord for hanging the ornament and also a little metallic cord bow.

It's a great technique that I will use again.  I did find that the Staz-On stayed sticky for quite a while.  One of our other Group of Seven members said she had better luck with Memento ink so I'll try it next time.  Also I much prefer the embossed side (like my second card) as far more of the gilding flakes show.  With the debossed side, I thought it was a bit of a waste to go over so much of the gilding flakes with ink and hide the lovely colours and shine of them.

Head on over to the blog post on Group of Seven Cardmakers to see more examples made by out group.  If you try it out, feel free to link up your card for us to see, but please note, we're not a challenge blog and we don't guarantee we'll comment on your cards (though we often do!).








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - unknown sentiment
Ink - Staz-On Ganache, Versamark
Paper - white cs, copper shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Cuttlebug embossing folder, Cosmic Shimmer Autumn Leaves gilding flakes, double sided adhesive sheet, Impression Obsession tree die, cream embossing powder

Supplies for card 2:
Ink - Staz-On Ganache
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Cuttlebug embossing folder, Cosmic Shimmer Autumn Leaves gilding flakes, double sided adhesive sheet, Spellbinders ornament die, TH noel die, SSS thin frames die, thin copper metallic cord

9 comments:

  1. These are lovely, Susan! (You might want to use that fabulous fall card for a home decoration when fall rolls around!) I agree with your assessment and really love the gorgeous ornament! It's great that you were able to cut such a thin frame. With the cord and sediment it makes a really elegant Christmas card! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we used the same gilding flakes for our cards Susan - so pretty with the mix! It's amazing how different they look embossed and debossed - and every embossing folder will look different as well - a fun technique for us to play with this month! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are beautiful Susan, now I know what to do with my left over piece. Love your bauble card especially with the thin die cut edge. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning elegant cards, Susan using your beautiful gilded flakes background pieces. I liked the Embossed side the best too, but thank you for trying the debossed and embossed sides so you could share which you liked the best and why. TFS and hosting this wonderful technique. I noticed right away that you used double sided tape, which I plan to use as I do not have any double sides sticky paper. Wonderful technique for Christmas cards, which I really am behind making. Thank you, thank you, dear friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great technique Susan and I love the look of both the debossed and the embossed sides inked, but in some ways the second wonderful Christmas bauble is my favourite because more of the opulent gilding flake shine shows through and with the thinner lines of the ink to highlight the pattern. The first background does make a great autumnal card with the pretty added tree and the copper card as a background to it and for the base card. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that I like the inking better on your second card too! I think less is more with the inking. I hated to cover up the shine! Love the colors of gilding flakes you used. They do look like autumn leaves but make a gorgeous ornament too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two beautiful card using the technique Susan!! I LOVE it as a background for your pretty tree. So pretty with the copper cardstock panel. The Christmas ornament is GORGEOUS! I love it and agree that the embossed side shows more of the gilding flakes. So pretty with the thin frame and sentiment cut from gilding flakes too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, these are so beautiful. I love the rich brown over the gilding flakes and it does have a great fall look. That ornament takes me breath away. This card is simply gorgeous. I love that you cut the Noel after doing the gilding. That worked perfectly. Wish I'd have done that - Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got fantastic results with this technique, and both cards are gorgeous, Susan!
    It was smart of you to use the nice rich brown ink which is perfect for your gilding flakes. I especially love your creativity of making the ornament, the sentiment, and the thin frame out of the gilding flake background! Thanks for your inspiration!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.