A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 22 March 2023

An All Blue Post

Two blue cards today!  My favourite colour!

First up for Color Hues "blue and turquoise":

I had a leftover piece of the SU white embossed leaf-patterned dp. I sponged shades of blue and turquoise Distress ink over it (the embossed leaves act as a resist).

On white cs, I stamped the butterfly using the same two shades of ink - the mini ink cubes make it easy to add the different shades to different parts of the image. I lightly spritzed the stamp to get the two blues to blend.

I die cut the leafy dp with a label die and put the butterfly behind it. Also tucked in my sentiment banner behind it.

The second card is for The Flower Challenge "Die Cuts or Stencils".  I went with die cuts.

I stamped the bokeh stamp off to the right side of my focal panel. Then die cut the cornflowers and words. I pressed my blue ink onto my craft mat, spritzed it with white shimmer spray to lighten it up and give some shimmer, and smooshed the die cut flowers and words into it, leaving the stems and leaf white. 

Challenges:

Color Hues

 

The Flower Challenge









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Technique Junkies butterfly, TH sentiment
Ink - Distress Faded Jeans and Salty Ocean, ColorBox white
Paper - white and black cs, SU white embossed leaf dp
Size - A2
Accessories - Sizzix label die, white embossing powder

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - SU Bokeh Dots
Ink - Distress Chipped Sapphire
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Alexandra Renke cornflower dies, Tattered Lace thank you dies, Hero Arts white irridescent shimmer spray

11 comments:

  1. LOVE your resist background with the blue and turquoise Susan...absolutely beautiful! And the butterfly in the same colors is the cherry on top...lovely, lovely card! Your bokeh card is just as pretty too, and I love the idea of adding shimmer spray to smoosh with...never thought of doing that, but I sure am going to try it out!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at The Color Hues Challenge...delighted to see you in the gallery!! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cards, Susan! First, I love how you blended the colors on your butterfly card and how the butterfly is dripping down. And your second card using the Bokeh dots is just as nice. Thanks for joining us at Color Hues. We hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two wonderful blue toned cards, and love the emboss resist using the pretty leaves and the added butterfly looks great Susan, and then the second with the softly coloured die cuts with the super contrast of the darker blue bokeh as a background..a perfect 'thank you' card. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both so interesting. I love the resist and bokeh is so cool. Also, blue is my favorite color too. Great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I just love your blog header and name - every time I visit, I wish I could whisk over to see your garret for myself!
    Your cornflower is lovely and as pretty as any die cut flower in our gallery! Thank you for playing cards with us again!
    =] Michele - The Flower Challenge DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made two beautiful cards, Susan! The first has that lovely artsy look with the paint dripping down off the butterfly and your blending of the two colors is looks wonderful! The card for The Flower Challenge had me at bokeh 🤩 and the die cut wildflower is just perfect for your CAS layout. Thank you so much for sharing your cards at both Color Hues and The Flower Challenge!

    Stef, DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both blue cards are beautiful, Susan! The blue shades of the leafy dp of the first card so perfectly match the inks you used for the artsy butterfly image that I thought you ink-blended the leafy background.
    The design of the second card is fantastic! I love that you let a part of the cornflower overlap the gorgeous bokeh panel. The way you arranged the die-cut sentiment is great too. The mix of the blue ink and the shimmer spray makes the die-cuts look exquisite!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two lovely cards in hues of blue! The butterfly and the background with embossed resist are both gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two beautiful blue cards, Susan! Love the blending of the turquoise and blue on that pretty butterfly and the resist paper! The cornflower die is so pretty and a perfect match for the bokeh stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on being a pick at TCH… beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.