A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 3 March 2021

Kraft with White Birch and Red Cardinals

Hello All - Loll is hosting the March CAS Christmas Challenge and she's picked a colour challenge for a bit of a change from our usual theme challenge. 

Here's my card:

It's a colour scheme I love for Christmas cards.


I started by die cutting the birch trees.  I was going to leave them stark white but they looked so unnatural that I had to sponge on a little bit of grey.  I die cut them twice and stacked them together as they are so flimsy otherwise.  Likewise I die cut the cardinals twice.

I splattered some white spray on a piece on a piece of kraft cs, then assembled my scene.  Added a white heat embossed sentiment on the same red cs I used for the cardinals and also added a border of it.

I was going to leave it there but it needed something more so I also added a thin white border.

There's lots more inspiration over at CAS Christmas from the Design Team and this month's fabulous Guest Designer, Gundi (papierelle).  Please come and join us - and help us celebrate our third birthday.  Because of this milestone, there will be prizes this month!!










Supplies:
Stamps - SU sentiment
Ink - ColorBox white, Distress Hickory Smoke
Paper - white, red, and kraft cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Impression Obsession birch trees die, Memory Box cardinal dies, Hero Arts Unicorn White spray, white embossing powder, narrow rectangle die

20 comments:

  1. Oh, my favorite things - birch trees with cardinals - AND with snow in the sky! a beautiful design with these colors Susan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, Susan! I must try and play along, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colours together and a fabulous Christmas card, with a great design Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thin white border really makes your design pop Susan, perfect finishing touch, love these little red birds in the white trees, (sadly no cardinals in Australia), Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. CAS and absolutely BEAUTIFUL Susan!! Such a simple design but everything just pops on this card!! I love the framing too!! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. your birch trees and cardinals look wonderful Susan and the splatters are perfect. I never think of splattering :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your birch trees are so pretty, especially with the cardinals perched on the branches. Wonderful splattering of snow and perfect framing with the two colours. Beautiful card Susan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely little winter scene, I feel like I'm in our forest.
    Thanks for the opportunity to be the guest designer this month and I congratulate you on your 3rd challenge blog birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cardinals just pop against the birch trees and the whole scene is lovely. A great take on the challenge colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cardinals perched on the birch trees in this snowy scene, Susan! A great way to use these colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your birch trees are perfect against the Krafbackground and I love the pop of red on the cardinals and sentiment! Very pretty Christmas card, Susan! xxt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, your scene of birch trees and the red cardinals is so pretty on the Kraft. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I saw your card on the challenge blog I thought, 'I might just have to case that one!' And after retrieving a birch tree die from behind a cupboard where it's been hiding for years I think I should. The design is simply lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Birch trees and cardinals = a perfect combination for these colours. Great dimension from stacking the die-cuts. The white border helps it to stand out against the Kraft.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful birch trees and cardinals...they make a great pair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with all your design choices, Susan! Each one added just the right element to add more interest to your gorgeous card! I hope you are keeping well! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fabulous, Susan! Love the way you used the challenge colors. The birch trees look so natural that I didn't notice, at first, that you added a bit of gray to them. Great eye!
    The white border ties the background to the foreground (birch trees) and gives a finished feeling. I really enjoyed reading your card-making process!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. beauty...again, love the red with the kraft.
    blessings mf.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous with the trees and trio of cardinals, Susan! Just love the splattered snow too!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan I really love your card.. the balance of the colours is fabulous, eye catching with those darling little red cardinals against the white trees.. congrats too on 3 years of CAS Christmas Robyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.