A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 16 March 2021

Art Deco Flowers

Do you ever finish a card and wish you'd done something differently?    This is one of those that I like for some things but wish I'd done something else with the background.

I wanted to use my long neglected Distress stains so followed this tutorial on watercolouring with them.  It's harder than it looks. 

I used three shades of blues and mauves for the flowers and two shades of green for the stems and leaves. Once I was done pulling the colours out, I felt I'd lost too much definition in the flowers so I went over the outline again with the stains and restamped - that is the joy of working in the MISTI!

The sentiments are part of the stamp and I did them at the end by going over them with the dew drop size Memento Tuxedo Black.

I trimmed my panel and sponged the edges, blending together Bundled Sage and Iced Spruce.  A bit of black splatter finished it off. I mounted the panel on fun foam for dimension.  In hindsight, I wish I'd done lighter sponging and used the shades of green I used for the stems.  Or left the sponging off altogether and just done a bit of splattering.

 

I'm linking it up with:

We Love Chocolate Baroque - "I Love..." - what do you love when you are creating.  I love trying new techniques, I love using Distress products, I love the Art Deco style of these Chocolate Baroque flowers, I love flowers as a theme for my cards.

The Paper Players - "A Colour Challenge"

 


Thank you for stopping by!








Supplies:
Stamps - Chocolate Baroque Wish Flower
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Iced Spruce and Bundled Sage
Paper - watercolour paper, cream cs
Size - 4.75x6.5"
Accessories - Distress Stains - Bundled Sage, Peeled Paint, Seedless Preserves, Faded Jeans, Milled Lavender

15 comments:

  1. I do know what you mean but I think your finished creation in the lovely watercolour hues is beautiful using CB Wish Flower.

    Thanks so much for sharing a crafty 'I love.....' with us at We Love Chocolate Baroque March challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the soft, dreamy like quality of your card! The background sponging and the soft colors on the blossoms are so pretty and I think your coloring turned out well! Thanks for sharing at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely coloring on the flowers! I like your card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful, Susan! I love the soft colors and gorgeous flowers. Thank you for sharing with The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work with your Distress stains, I have never tried to watercolour with them. Lovely blue and mauve shades plus green, this is my fav colours combo.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at We Love Chocolate Baroque challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautifully done, Susan. Water coloring is still my nemesis so I appreciate seeing a card done so well with it. Love your choice of image too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this looks fabulous, Susan! Love these flowers and the green background has such a nice Spring look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your watercolouring is perfect Susan. I love the stamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I regret something on every card, but I think yours is perfect! Those pretty flowers of yours caught my eye right away and the speckled background is perfect behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the delicate background shows off the beautiful flowers so well Susan and love the water colouring too x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous card...I so love the look of watercolouring
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those flowers are gorgeous. Adding the second stamping really brings out the design. Personally, I love the sponged green in the background. I think it's just perfect to outline your image. Great work Susan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the soft and ethereal feel of your card Susan - great job with those florals! Thanks for playing along with my colour challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful spring card, Susan! Your watercolored flowers are gorgeous! The tone of green goes so well with that of flowers that I like the card with the sponged background. I often thank MISTI too! :-)
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card and fabulous sentiment.
    Thank you so much for sharing at We Love Chocolate Baroque Challenge;-))m

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.