A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 10 March 2021

Horse, Foal, and Three Shades of Green

For one of my sister's birthday at the end of the month:


I really love a recent Eileen Godwin technique for creating a geometric background with stencilling over it.  See her video here for instructions.

I used three different green Distress inks and sponged them away from a straight edged spreader, turning the spreader each time for a different angle.  Once it was dry, I laid a leaf stencil over it and stencilled with one of the greens.  And once that was dry, I put it in my MISTI and stamped the Lavinia horse and foal image and the sentiment.  Trimmed the panel, bordered with black, and popped up on fun foam.

I'm linking it up with the following challenges:

Seize the Birthday "Three Shades of Green"

Less is More "Baby"

Just Us Girls "Animals"
 

 







Supplies:
Stamps - Lavinia horse and foal, SSS sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne;  Distress Mowed Lawn, Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters
Paper - white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - homemade leaf stencil, fun foam

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous results with the technique. Brilliant choice to use a leaf stencil for a green colour inspired birthday card. Your sister will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card Susan, the geometrical stenciling with the leaf design looks great. Your sister will love the card :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an wonderful layering effect on the background Susan and those silhouette's look beautiful x. What a thoughtful and fabulous card for your sister x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect background for the sweet horse and foal, Susan! Great job on this fun technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the different greens for the stenciling and background. This is just lovely and the silhouette horses are so sweet. Happy Birthday to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soft and beautiful geometric sponged with 3 different green shades background, Susan. Love your lovely horse and foal silhouette image and text sentiment too. All perfectly balanced and pop with the black frame and popped up layer. Your sister will treasure her special card filled with love. TFS my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new technique to me and I love it. I ended up watch several of Eileen's Videos. I really like how you applied that technique to this birthday card for your sister. Thanks for liking up with us at Seize the Birthday Challenge.
    Barbara DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic Susan! I LOVE the background with your layering of the geometric sponging and stenciling over top. It's really beautiful and perfect with your silhouette of mama and baby horses. Your sister is going to love this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous background and love those stamps! Love the shades of green too! This one really caught my eye. This is a great card for those challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to check out that technique, it's wonderful! The silhouette is gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing along at Less is More xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous, Susan! I LOVE the leaf stenciled background layered over the geometric stenciling! The geometric pattern looks like a spotlight for the horse and the foal. The black silhouette makes a great contrast to the soft background. Your sister is going to love this card!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Eileen's inkings....you did a great job on your card...so you!!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love seeing Eileen's backgrounds, I've yet to try it. This is so calming, green is fast becoming my favourite colour. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.