A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 8 August 2019

A Challenge Card and an Improved Card

I'm on birthday cards today, a brief break from Christmas cards.

Seize the Birthday wants "Flowers" as its topping.


And The Flower Challenge is "Use Your Favourite Flower".


I used a new flower stamp that I love because it is an agapanthus, definitely a favourite flower because it is blue!


I put the stamp in the MISTI and inked up with various mini Distress inkpads and markers, spritzing with water, and stamping onto watercolour paper until I was happy with the results.

I trimmed the panel with a stitched rectangle die, added a vertical sentiment, and bordered in navy blue cs.

It will go off to my cousin in England who grows the most amazing agapanthus!


On to a second birthday card.  I made this card a couple of years ago:



See this post here for the details.  I was not totally happy with it and never sent it but my friend who is an artist has her birthday coming up so I pulled it out again and revamped it a little bit:


I re-stamped the image and added some watercolour paints to the jar, the brushes, and the tips of the brushes.  Then fussy cut it and glued it on top of the original stamped image.  A simple fix but it made all the difference - I am so much happier with the card now!





Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black agapanthus, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - various mini Distress inkpads and markers
Paper - watercolour paper, white and navy cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Lil Inker stitched rectangle die, blue pearls

Supplies for card 2: 
See this post here




10 comments:

  1. Your flower is fantastic! Love the blend of blues and from the photo it almost looks like a bit of sparkle. I absolutely LOVE how you fixed the jar of art brushes. The jar with the tint made all the difference. How cool that you have a friend who paints in oils! That is such a great image for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the depth of colour in the agapanthus Susan, so pretty and the artsy paintbrush card looks amazing, the jar looks real!! Thankyou for playing along at Seize the Birthday too, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your agapanthus flowers, Susan! This stamp is such a joy to use! The watercolor adds just the right amount of special touch. Your cousin will enjoy it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cousin is going to love your first beautiful agapanthus card Susan. It is absolutely beautiful and the water colour effect looks unique and so very pretty. I agree with the second re-vamped card and so glad you kept it to be able to send it to your artist friend x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your agapanthus card is so pretty. Gorgeous choice of colour and depth of colour. You should also enter it at The Flower challenge Favourite Flower. xx
    Both versions of your other card look good to me... but I know we are also our own worst critic. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card, Susan! I love the blue shades of agapanthus flowers! So soothing.
    Your re-vamped card is wonderful. Yes, I like it better with the clear jar with watercoloring. It's a perfect card for your artist friend!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that agapanthus stamp. Definitely one for you with the blues. It's beautiful and your cousin is going to love receiving it. I really like your original version and think your artist friend would have loved it back when you first made it, but it does look good with the changes you've made too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty card, wonderful Agapanthus stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful card and flowers, thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge ;) Viv DT xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.