A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 17 August 2019

Glittered Snowflakes

I made this card on a lovely sunny August day - hard to think of snow at this time of year!  It's my reminder card for the CAS Christmas Card Challenge "Glitter".





Snow and snowflakes are the first thing to come to my mind when I think of glitter on Christmas cards so I'm afraid I used snowflakes for both of my Design Team cards for this challenge!  But ended up with quite different cards and techniques.  Today's snowflakes are stenciled:



Because glitter is so hard to photograph, I'm including this close-up done under different light:


I used a homemade stencil (made for me by my dear friend, Loll Thompson).  I mixed a bit of blue ink into a sparkly embossing paste without mixing it thoroughly.  Depending how well mixed the ink was, determined how much blue shows up in the snowflakes - I quite like the variation in depth of colour.

I die cut the sentiment out of blue glitter paper, and added a border of the same, and popped it up on fun foam on a cream shimmer card base that matches the snowflakes quite well.

Please come and join us at CAS Christmas between now and August 24th.  For inspiration, check out the cards by the rest of the Design Team and our wonderful Guest Designer, Michelle (of Seashell Creations).

I'm also linking up my card over at The 12 Months of Christmas challenge "Sparkle, Glitter, and Bling".







Supplies:
Ink - SU Bashful Blue
Paper - mixed media, blue glitter, and cream shimmer cs
Size - 5.75" square
Accessories - homemade snowflake stencil, Cosmic Shimmer Frosty Dawn Sparkle paste, Cutplorations sentiment die, fun foam



10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card with wonderful shimmer. Love the home made stencil and how you mixed the paste with the blue ink.....Such a stunning effect x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So schparkly and gorgeous, Susan! I love the variegated blues you achieved with your e/p and blue ink!! Hugs, Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the variation of color in your sparkly stencil paste, Susan! Beautiful, sparkly snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh do I love the look of this- all that fun glitter for the holidays. Beautiful card, Susan! I just captured my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your glitter stenciled snowflakes, Susan!! So creative to mix in a little bit of blue with the glitter paste. The variations of colours look amazing. So perfect paired with the slate blue glitter card stock frame and die-cut sentiment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Susan, your snowflakes are stunners, I love that blue floating through the flakes. It's amazing using blue you managed to get a very warm look with the champagne base card :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to mix the ink in with glitter for such a beautiful color. Lovely card, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, Susan. Great photographing on the close-up photo to showcase all the sparkle. Beautiful colour combo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love, love this...what an elegant, beautiful card mf....
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sparkly and gorgeous, Susan!
    It’s a wonderful idea not to mix the blue ink with the embossing paste thoroughly. Love the holographic effect of your snowflakes!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.