A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 23 August 2019

Two Cards for Challenges

First up today is a card for the Color Challenge:


There's something kind of muted about those colours that really appeals to me.  Here's my card:


I applied various Distress inks with my Clarity brushes. I'm really happy with the blend of colours. I flicked some water on it to add texture and interest, and when dry, stamped two of the three sentiments. The third sentiment I stamped on a scrap of white cs, die cut it, and threaded ribbon through the die. The panel is bordered with black and popped up on fun foam.


Next up, The Flower Challenge "Use Your Favourite Flower":


Being a keen gardener, I have many favourite flowers so this is my second entry for the challenge (could do many more if I had time!!).  This time I went with poppies:


I love all kinds of poppies.  This image makes me think of the bright orange California poppies that grow in a patch of leftover soil out in my back lane - every year they reseed themselves and look so lovely and cheerful.

I stamped and heat embossed the flowers and sentiment, then watercoloured and splattered with a bit of the orange.  I trimmed the panel and went around the edges with Distress Antique Linen.  For a background panel, I stenciled dots with Antique Linen on white cs, then used a cream cs for the base.  The focal image is popped up on fun foam.  A few stick-on pearls are in the centres of the flowers and scattered among the dots.

Thanks for coming by today!





Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Chocolate Baroque sentiments
Ink - Archival Jet Black, various Distress inks
Paper - white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories -  Rebecca Baer stencil, purple ribbon, label die, fun foam

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Penny Black poppies, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black, Distress Antique Linen
Paper - watercolour paper, white and cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - detail clear embossing powder, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, dot stencil, fun foam




15 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on both cards, Susan! Your muted colors caught my eye beautifully blended over the Rebecca Baer stencil - that is gorgeous. I love your pretty poppies too, layered over the wonderful dotted papers. You make me want to run to get those Clarity brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous cards, Susan. I love how you blended your Distress Inks with your Clarity Brushes over your stenciled background. The colors are so soft and beautiful. Wonderful stamped sentiments and ribbon too.

    Poppies are always beautiful and you brought out their beauty in your gorgeous watercoloured poppies:-) I love how you added circle stenciling behind your main image. TFS both your beauties, my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ink blending is so smooth and each color blends so well with the one next to it. Love the font of the sentiments! Love those poppies. They are so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your color throwdown card looks wonderful with those softly blended colors and the white space of the stencil. I love poppies too and have them in my home. Yours are so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the softly blended and stenciled colors on your card background! Thanks for joining us for this week's Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your Rebecca Baer stencilled background is stunning Susan and the sentiment is perfect. Your poppies are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing and creative are perfect for the background you created on your Color Throwdown card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning first card and I too love the colour combination and what a fabulous stencil x.....Amazing card x The poppies on the second card look so very pretty x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your beautiful art deco stenciled card complete with the beribboned sediment, Susan, just perfect for the color challenge! And, wow, it's like we have one brain when it comes to your beautiful poppy card, right down to the stencil choice! 😊 Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color combination you took from the Color Throwdown challenge! The poppy card is so beautiful and elegant! The stenciled background adds some bokeh feel to the card! Love the look! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at The Flower Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun cards! Love the emboss resist on your CTD card! So happy you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two beauties, Susan. Love the soft blend of colours with your clarity brushes on your first card. Those challenge colours look amazing with the RB stencil!

    Your poppies are so bright and cheerful. Beautiful card with the stenciled background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your awesome background with the throwdown colors blended together! Thanks so much for joining us at CTD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great cards Susan but I just love, love the look of the first one, just fab mf.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two wonderful cards. The first one is striking and drew me in. Gorgeous blending and stencilling there. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.