A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 3 August 2019

Glitter and Shimmer

Glitter!  The theme for this month's CAS Christmas Challenge:


Loll is our host this month and she lists all the various types of glitter we can use.  For today's card, I went with glitter cardstock - I have rather a lot of it in my stash so it was good to pull it out.  Not that this card used much of it!


I find for die cutting I need to use the lighter weight glitter cs.  I have some very heavy stuff that just won't die cut nicely.  The blue and green came from Joann's (a craft store in the US), the white is SU's Dazzling Diamonds cs, and the gold is Tim Holtz's adhesive backed glitter paper.

I die cut all my pieces, glued the ornament together, punched a tiny hole in the top to thread some gold cord through, die cut another of the base ornament out of fun foam to give it dimension, and attached to ornament to the die cut pine bough.  Then glued all the pieces to the top layer of white shimmer cs and finally popped that layer up on the white shimmer card base.

It was a far more fiddly card to make that I'd originally anticipated!  And a real pain to photograph and get the glitter to sparkle!

Here's a close-up that hopefully shows the glitter better:


Please join us at CAS Christmas and make our gallery sparkle with glitter!  There's lots of ideas from the Design Team and our fabulous Guest Designer, Michelle (of Seashell Creations).

I'm also linking up my card over at The 12 Months of Christmas challenge "Sparkle, Glitter, and Bling".





Supplies:
Paper - PTI white shimmer cs; blue, green, gold, and white glitter cs
Size - 5.25" square
Accessories - Memory Box ornament dies, TH pine branch and noel dies, fun foam, gold cord



14 comments:

  1. Wow - so much glitter in this beauty, Susan!! Especially love the soft blue of the ornament and your photo looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and very sparkly card Susan! Lovely mix of different colours of glitter card stock. I love that gorgeous ornament hanging from the sparkly green branch. Fabulous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the sparkle on this. It's so festive! Those papers are so perfect for a Christmas card. Seeing this I am reminded that I have not done an ornament card this year yet. And I hear you about trying to die cut thick paper. Sometimes I really miss the Sizzix original dies. Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How in the world did you get all that sparkle to photograph without any blur! You are a magician! And what a beautiful, glittery card! Love the pine bough and the ornament as well as all the glitter background! Fantastic, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG..so much glorious glittery sparkle on your beautiful card, Susan. You went all out adding several glittery elements. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous glittery card Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous mix of colorful glittery die-cuts. I see no struggle of capturing all that gorgeous sparkle in your photos. Great job. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know about the thinner glitter card stock, I've never had much luck die cutting. I love the mix of glitter colours, it looks so festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this card is made of 100% glittery & shimmery cs! The sparkles from the die-cuts are so pretty, Susan! Fabulous and festive CAS holiday card!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glittery and fabulous and such a stunning card Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the look of this card...pine bough and ornament dies are 2 of my faves to use on Christmas cards...gonna cut them from glitter paper for my next few. I agree with you that the secret is using lighter weight glitter paper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, hoe sparkly and a wonderful design. I love the die cuts. Thanks for joining us for the 12 Months of Christmas sparkle and glitter challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a very elegant card. The sparkle adds that touch of glamour. Thank you for joining in the challenge at 12 Months Of Christmas with optional twist of Sparkle, Glitter and Bling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If there's a prize for the most glittery card ever, you have surely won it Susan! And it is beautiful and CAS - a brilliant use of dies!

    PS Loving the pic of you with your spaniels :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.