A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 28 September 2023

Snowflakes with Peace Dove

Our Group of Seven Cardmakers are trying a new-to-me technique with embossing folders "Dry Embossing with Re-inker Watercolouring".  We followed the instructions in this video.  Here's my card:

I used three different blue re-inkers, painting them on mixed media cs in random splotches until the whole piece was covered.  I spritzed with some water to let the colours move and blend a bit.

I went over the debossed (indented) side of the embossing folder with black pigment ink, keeping the ink pad flat and getting a thorough coverage.  I then put the blue painted piece of cs inside the embossing folder with the blue against the black inked side.  I ran it through once and ended up with an area where the black wasn't really strong enough so added more black ink and ran it through again.

I trimmed the panel and added it to the card base.  I stamped and heat embossed my sentiment using one of my blue colours, and trimmed it with a label die.  I die cut the dove twice and glued them together to give it substance, then added it to the card with the body flat on the card and the wings popped up with foam tape.

There are detailed instructions and lots of other examples from the rest of the Group of Seven over at Group of Seven Cardmakers.  We'd love to see any cards you make using this technique but just remember we're not a challenge blog.







Supplies:
Stamps - A Muse sentiment
Ink - Distress Tumbled Glass ink; Distress Tumbled Glass and Faded Jeans re-inkers, SU Brocade Blue re-inker; Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - white cs, mixed media cs
Size - A2
Accessories - SSS 3D snowflake embossing folder, Memory Box dove die, Spellbinders label die

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous snowflake card Susan. LOVE the variations of shades of blue ink. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty in the mix of blue reinkers you used Susan - perfect for a snowflake EF! Love your white dove in flight and white sentiment panel - they really pop off the black background! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. the black really make the blue snowflakes pop Susan, so pretty with your Peace Dove flying over. Great take on the technique xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Christmas card using the different shades of Blue ink dry embossed snow flakes that really pop with your black ink background, Susan. TFS your beauty and your description, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a pretty snowflake EF Susan and I love the different tones of blue with the dramatic black background, and the white dove and blue on white sentiment look great over the top...a fabulous card using this technique. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blue snowflakes show beautifully with the crisp, black background! I love how they and the dove stand out against the black! Awesome design, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just beautiful. I love the soft blue snowflakes and sweet dove. They pop against the black background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty snowflakes card, Susan! The various shades of blue against the black background are stunning! The white die-cut dove is a brilliant addition both in terms of color contrast and layout. Thanks for sharing your inspirational card!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.