A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 16 September 2023

Reindeer Through a Window

As soon as I saw the mood board for the new Peace on Earth challenge, I knew what I wanted to do for my Design Team card.  I was completely inspired by the upper left image (see the mood board at the end of the post).  Here's my card:


I took my birch trees embossing folder and rubbed over the debossing side with Weathered Wood Distress ink and then used a piece of chalk coloured cs to emboss my background.  The Weathered Wood ink transferred really well and the chalk colour of the cs made more natural looking birch trees than stark white cs would have.  I sprinkled some Chunky Frantage white embossing powder on it and heated from underneath to create the falling snow.

I die cut the window out of white cs and then smooshed it into Frayed Burlap Oxide ink and then again into a tiny bit of Ground Espresso.  I left some white spots as I wanted a really rustic looking window.  I die cut a second window and glued the two together for more dimension.

With the leftover Ground Espresso on my craft mat, I smooshed a scrap of white cs and then die cut the reindeer from that.

I tore two strips of white cs for the snowy ground and stuck it to the birch tree background, along with the reindeer.  Then trimmed the background to fit behind the window and glued the window on top of it all.

The stamped sentiment says "winter wonderland" - I think I over-inked it as I didn't get a very clear impression from the stamp.

We'd love to have you join us at Peace on Earth.  There's lots of inspiration from the mood board and the rest of the Design Team, but you can just link up an "anything Christmas" card if you prefer.

   Our Blog Badge

I'm also linking my card up with Can You Handle the Pressure "A Twist of Trees" and with the NBUS Challenge - I'd never used the reindeer die before.  One of my commenters kindly invited me to add my card to The Holly and Ivy Christmas "Anything Goes" Challenge as well.

Please Grab Our Badge  Grab our badge to display on your blog. The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge

 







Supplies:
Stamps - PB sentiment
Ink - Distress Oxide Ground Espresso and Frayed Burlap, Distress Weathered Wood, Versafine Clair Morning Mist
Paper - white and chalk cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Spellbinders window die, TH reindeer die, SU embossing folder, Stampendous Chunky Frantage white embossing powder

15 comments:

  1. What a BEAUTIFUL scene Susan! Thanks for inspiration and also for sharing this beauty over on our Can You Handle the Pressure challenge ... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely scenery you have created here gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous window scene, could be my house on any winter day, beautifully created! Thanks too for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This view of the birch trees and deer through the window looks terrific Susan and the white torn card looks great for the snow slopes and the white heat embossed Frantage makes perfect falling snow. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful view through the window and I love how you aged the widow frame. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Susan. I LOVE the rustic window and the similar colours for your deer. Such a beautiful view through that window!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details! You took your time and created a work of art, Susan! I loved reading about how you did each step and I could feel how tickled you were with each one as you created that great window frame and deer with your smooching, realistic birch trees and sky, and those big fat flakes of snow! And I like the sediment that way; it looks like it might have gotten damp from the snowfall! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, I feel like I am sitting in a cabin in the woods and enjoying the winter scenery. Great card, thanks for sharing with us at Can You Handle the Pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scene is so peaceful and something I would love to see out my window. Well, except for the snow! That window treatment on the frame is beautiful, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful, peaceful scene, Susan! Wonderful coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your colours, a very pretty card with that stunning scene xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely Susan, and thank you for explaining the steps! I thought you had heat embossed the birch trees at first, gosh they look lovely as does your smooshed window frame and reindeer! It all came together beautifully! If you have the time, we'd love your lovely card to appear in our gallery at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge and provide inspiration to our participants as well!
    Hugs, Kate (Cards a la Kate)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful and a well deserved Top 3 at CYHTP! 👏🎉🎉

    ReplyDelete
  14. A gorgeous winter scene and look at all the details it`s a gorgeous card Susan. Thank you for sharing with us at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge, Anita DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delightful Christmas card. Thank you for joining us at THAIC

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.