A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 27 September 2023

Quick Heat Embossed Cards and a Mixed Media Tag

I made a couple of quick and CAS cards for last minute challenge entries today.

First up for Christmas Craft Creations "Metallics" , Inkspirational "Clean and Simple", and  My Time to Craft Christmas "Joy to the World":


I think gold heat embossing on cream cs is so elegant!  And this was so quick to make - sentiment and image stamped and heat embossed in gold, trimmed into a square, popped up on fun foam on the card base.  I put the sentiment right under the trumpet, thinking that maybe the angel is playing Joy to the World.

Next card, for The Twelve Months of Christmas "Christmas Baubles" and for NBUS as I used a stamp I'd never used before:


It's a large stamp that fills up most of the card and has some solid areas so I stamped it in my MISTI.  I used a beautiful blue metallic ink and heat embossed with a sparkly embossing powder.  Trimmed it, added it to the cardbase, and ran a sentiment strip across at an angle so that I could cover a bit over on the right where the heat embossing didn't cover it very well.

And finally for Sweet Stampin' "Tags":

I had great fun playing with a lot of mixed media products (quite out of my comfort zone) to create some backgrounds using Jennifer McGuire's recent video "Background Magic".

On a large piece of heavy cs, I brayered different shades of blue ink and sprayed with some mica spray, stamped with a snowflakes background stamp in darker blue, stamped a few bits of tiny stars in gold, stamped a few tiny Christmas words in blue and gold, and stenciled some larger stars and snowflakes with grit paste. Then trimmed the panel into a few different pieces.

I cut a tag out of part of it, added a couple of die cut snowflakes, a TH label sticker, and some ribbon printed with snowflakes.

You'll be seeing more cards that use pieces of my background soon.

   My Time To Craft Christmas!

  Grab our badge to display on your blog. 

Sweet Stampin' Challenge Blog







Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Deep Red angel, PTI sentiment
Ink - ColorBox gold
Paper - cream cs
Size - 4.25" square
Accessories - gold embossing powder, fun foam

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Local King ornaments, Mama Elephant sentiment
Ink - Encore Metallic Blue, Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - SU Iridescent Ice embossing powder, Mama Elephant sentiment strip die

Supplies for card 3:
Stamps - SSS small sentiments, Impression Obsession snowflakes and stars background stamps
Ink - Versafine Clair Twilight, various blue Distress inks, Delicata gold
Paper - mixed media cs
Size -5.25x3"
Accessories - Distress mica stain Frosted Juniper, TH grit paste, TH star stencil, Carta Bella snowflake stencil, tag die, TH snowflake dies, TH label stick-on, blue snowflake ribbon

8 comments:

  1. Heat embossing is so elegant and so much fun going back to the basics of stamping :)
    Your mixed media tag is beautiful. It was great fun trying the technique out with you, I want to give it another go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three beautiful cards Susan and I love the simplicity of the first with the sweet angel in gold, and then the large stamp with the pretty baubles and snowflakes, and again just monochromatic with that extra touch of sparkle with the embossing powder, and then the wonderful tag with stamps, stencils and die cuts snowflakes which stand out brilliantly in white. I did watch the JM video and it has lots of great ideas for making backgrounds which is very inspiring. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three projects are very beautifully elegant for Christmas time, Susan!!! The heat embossing is just done so wonderfully. I'm partial to the angel card though! Even with it being for MTTCC's theme, the cream and gold along with the image and sentiment have a Renaissance quality about it that has captured my heart! Thanks for sharing with us! --Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous projects - that gold on the cream is so elegant - it really doesn't need anything else. Thanks for sharing with us at Christmas Craft Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful heat embossed cards. The angel is so elegant in gold. And those ornaments and snowflakes are beautiful with lots of glittery sparkle. LOVE your mixed media tag with all your layers of goodness, Susan! Great work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heat embossing is so fun!! I love all your projects you made here - awesome! Thanks for joining us at Christmas Craft Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So elegant! Lovely card! Thanks for playing along at Christmas Craft Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three lovely designs for Christmas Susan! Your golden angel on the cream is perfect for the Inspirational:CAS challenge! Thanks for sharing it with us! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.