A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 11 September 2023

Gemstone Ornaments and Elegant Writer Poppy

A Twofer today.  First for My Time to Craft Christmas "Ornaments", I did something a bit different and used a deciduous tree die cut with gemstones for ornaments.


I die cut the tree three times and glued them together for dimension.  I sprayed my focal panel with enough blue spray to provide contrast to the white tree.  Stamped a sentiment on it and popped it up on fun foam on the card base.

And then had lots of fun finding various shades and sizes of blue and silver stick-on gems for the ornaments on the tree.

My second card is for Cardz4Guyz "Poppies or Remembrance".  I did a muted colour scheme (seems more guy-like to me) by using my Elegant Writer pen to colour the poppy.

 
I haven't done this technique for a long time so my Elegant Writer pen was a bit dry and I didn't get as much colour variation as I've gotten in the past, but I still like the effect.

I stamped the image in Vintage Photo, added small lines with the Elegant Writer on the poppy, seed heads, and butterfly, and then with water and a paint brush, pulled out some of the Elegant Writer and Vintage Photo ink.

For the leaves, I scribbled a bit of Elegant Writer on a palette, spritzed with water, and then picked up some colour for the leaves.

I pulled out a bit of Vintage Photo to ground the image and sponged Antique Linen around the edges.

The panel is popped up on fun foam on a cream card base.

Here's a close-up to show the colour variation from the Elegant Writer pen:


 My Time To Craft Christmas!

 Cardz 4 Guyz









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Stampendous sentiment
Ink - Archival Hickory Smoke
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Penny Black ornament tree die, blue spray, blue and silver gemstones

Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Carabelle
Ink - Distress Vintage Photo and Antique Linen
Paper - mixed media cs, cream cs
Size - 6x4.25"
Accessories - Elegant Writer pen, fun foam

11 comments:

  1. I love the white die cut tree with the pretty added baubles Susan, and the sprayed blue background darker at the top makes the tree stand out really well. The poppy image used on the second is a beauty and a great technique you used, and also the Antique Linen blended around the edge of the background and the watercoloured Vintage Photo grounding the poppies work beautifully. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tree is so pretty with all the colored gems! So elegant! I love the poppy stamp and how you've colored it! I still haven't tried to color with the Elegant Writer. I do love the look when you use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the soft blue spray behind your white tree, Susan. Those gems really sparkle --- so pretty! Gorgeous colouring of your poppy. I really need to buy an elegant writer (or 2 or ??). :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two great cards, I especially love the elegant writer the breakdown of the black into the different colours is gorgeous. Great reminder to pull it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for entering the ornaments theme at My Time to Craft Christmas!!! What an elegant and unique idea for the tree to have silver and blue ornaments!! --Becca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your inspiration for the gems on the tree is wonderful and I would love to case that. Your coloring is lovely on the poppy card. The Elegant Writer Pen is so pretty and all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a great card for our challenge here at C4Guys, thank you for joining us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two more wonderful cards, but you probably guessed I gravitated to your beautiful Christmas tree with the gorgeous blue gems ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy, did we give you a real challenge this time around...poppies and masculine!! It was a tough one but you nail it with watercolor vintage poppy!! Thanks for playing along with us over at Cardz 4 Guyz with our Poppies/Remembrance challenge. -Deb Horst, DT #C4G330

    ReplyDelete
  10. The elegant writer pen is a new one to me but it does create a lovely vintage effect. Thanks for sharing at Cardz4Guyz. Love the sparkly gemstones on your die cut tree too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I miss your Elegant Writer Pen Watercolored Poppy card, Susan...LOVE the Effect..I now have 5 different sized pens that I just got at Amazon:-) Now to start playing. TFS and always inspiring me, my friend. Love and Hugs....Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.