A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 13 February 2023

Two Cards with Birds - One a Valentine, One a Notecard

Tic Tac Toe challenge has lots of options for Valentine cards - I chose the left vertical column (see below) of heart, red, stitching.  A friend always asks me to make several Valentine cards each year, and one of them always has to have a bird on it.  Here's this year's one:

I stamped the bird and then die cut it with a stitched heart die.  I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment in white on red cs and die cut it with a banner die with tiny heart cutouts at each end.  I had some red glitter hearts left from a previous project so glued a few of them on the card.

My second bird card is for the AAA Card Challenge "Teal and Gold".

I used turquoise and teal alcohol inks on yupo and rubbed some gold foil on the sections that remained a bit sticky. Then die cut my birds from the yupo and some scrap cs, and glued them together for more dimension.

I made a background of stencilled branches with white embossing paste, die cut a frame, and mounted it all on the card base.

Challenges:

Tic Tac Toe

 

AAA Cards Challenge









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Impression Obsession sentiment, Carabelle bird
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne, ColorBox white
Paper - white and red cs, red glitter cs
Size - A2
Accessories - white embossing powder, banner die with hearts, Frantic Stamper Inc. stitched heart die, tiny hearts die

Supplies for card 2:
Ink - two tones of turquoise and teal alcohol inks
Paper - white cs, yupo
Size - A2
Accessories - gold foil, TCW branch stencil, embossing paste, Impression Obsession frame die

10 comments:

  1. The teal & gold birds are so pretty!! Love the touches of gold foil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool bird on the first card. I'm really in love with those teal and gold birds. That is a fantastic card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bits of foil really make the card. Thanks for sharing your work with us on the AAA Cards Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the simplicity of the the black and red on white for your valentines card- CAS perfection and the teal with flecks of gold is stunning ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you framed the birds in both cards, Susan!
    The birds of the second card are so pretty! The AI colors with a bit of gold foiling look amazing! The white-on-white effect of stenciling and frame highlights the beauty of the birds.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan...love both cards. Simplicity at its best. The bits of gold on the the second is just beautiful. Thanks so much for joining and sharing at Tic Tac Toe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two beautiful cards Susan and I adore the sweet little swallow on the valentine stitched heart, and the red glittery little hearts, and white on red banner sentiment are perfect and make it prettily CAS. The second looks great using your alcohol inks in those wonderful shades of blue, and the background textural branches and the outside curvy frame show them off brilliantly. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are lovely Susan! I especially like the Valentine you made with the pared back colour scheme and the bird stamped in the tilted heart. Thank you for playing with us at Tic Tac Toe challenge! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cards! The teal and gold one is my favourite. Love how the teal pops against the white and that beautiful hint of gold is the icing on the cake, Thank you for sharing and playing along with us at AAA Cards, hope to see you in future challenges too. Take care, keep crafting and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great valentine with the stitched heart and bird, Susan! But the texture and gold on turquoise made me drop my jaw! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.