A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 28 February 2023

Group of Seven Cardmakers - Debossed Inky Resist

This month our crafty zoom group (the Group of Seven Cardmakers) tried out a technique called Debossed Inky Resist.  It was based on a video Julia found on Splitcoaststampers:

Video:  Debossed Inky Resist (Anna-Karin Evaldsson via SplitcoastStampers)
 
Here's my card:
 

Following the instructions in the video, I lightly rubbed Versamark over the raised design side of the embossing folder.  Then placed watercolour paper inside the embossing folder and ran it through my Cuttlebug.  I sprinkled with white embossing powder and heat set.  The Versamark and embossing powder created a resist for the next step of smooshing with Distress inks.  I used Picked Raspberry, Tattered Rose, Victorian Velvet, and a little bit of Bundled Sage, tapped onto my craft mat and spritzed with water.  I then smooshed the embossed panel into it until I was happy with the results.  I then repeated with the same colours in Distress Oxide inks to get a little bit of additional texture.

I finished the card with a die cut poppy (a layer of scrap cs and a top layer of cream shimmer cs) and a sentiment banner.  Added the panel to a cream card base.
 
It was a fun technique that gave nice artsy results.  I went on to make a few more backgrounds with different embossing folders and experimenting with using both the raised pattern side as in this card and with using the opposite side of the embossing folder which gives a raised ink smooshed pattern.  I'll be posting them once I've turned them into cards. 

Head on over to Group of Seven Cardmakers to see what the rest of our group made using this technique.









Supplies:
Stamps - Savvy Stamps sentiment
Ink - Distress and Distress Oxide Picked Raspberry, Tattered Rose, Victorian Velvet, Bundled Sage
Paper - watercolour paper, cream shimmer cs, cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - stitched banner die, Penny Black poppies die

9 comments:

  1. This card is so beautiful Susan! I LOVE the floral design, which looks amazing with the colours of inks you've used to smoosh. So pretty paired with the poppy die. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the delicate embossing folder you used here Susan and the beautiful colors you smooshed on the panel. The die cut poppy in cream looks lovely over your background! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a super technique Susan and one which I have tried in the past but not for a very long time, and I love the soft colours for the smooshing over the white debossed flowers and leaves, and the added poppies using that cream shimmer card look really beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your artsy poppy design, Susan! The background colors are really gorgeous with your white embossing! I look forward to seeing your other designs. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these colors, Susan, and they are perfect with the shimmery poppy die cut! Can't wait to see the rest of your backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE your Debossed Inky Resist Gorgeous card, Susan. Your background, colors and textures are perfect for your beautiful die cut shiny poppies. Someone will treasure your creative birthday card. TFS my friend. Love and hugs...Nancy P.S. I have started experimenting with the technique:-) I can't wait to see more of your finished cards using this wonderful MM technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, Susan. I love the folder you used and the colors are lovely. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely background you created using this fun technique, Susan! I love this card, including the colors, the texture, and the depth. The cream shimmery poppy die-cuts beautifully pop against the background. Choosing Bundled Sage out of many green choices for the pinks you used is just so right!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colour combo with your debossed background, perfect for your white poppies. This was a fun technique ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.