A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 14 February 2022

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day to all my fellow cardmakers!  So it's only appropriate that I post Valentine cards today.  I've got two variations on using my new Memory Box stitched heart dies to create heart shaped cut outs.

My friend who always buys several Valentine cards from me always wants one from me with a bird on it for her son-in-law who loves birds so this is this year's version.  Perfect to enter in the Cardz 4 Guyz "Love" challenge.

I sprayed a scrap of white cs with Antique Linen Distress spray and stamped the bird on it.

I inked up a script stamp in red and wiped off random sections and stamped on another piece of white cs.  I added the sentiment in black, die cut it with a square die, and die cut a heart out of the centre, just big enough to show most of the bird.  Layered the pieces on a white card base.

And then something more feminine with pink as my extra colour in the AAA Card Challenge "Black, White, and One Color".

I did a crafty zoom get together with friends and we tried Floating Alcohol Inks (see this video for instructions).  I dropped a couple of shades of pink AIs in a pan of water and dragged my white cs through it.  Once dry I stamped the script stamp on it in black.

I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment in black on another piece of white cs, cut it down with a rectangle die cut, cut out the heart, and layered it over the text-stamped piece.  I popped it up on fun foam for some dimension.

Challenges:

Cardz 4 Guyz "Love"

AAA Card Challenge "Black, White, and One Color"



Hoping you all have some kind of Valentine's Day treats, preferably chocolate if you're like me!








Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Impression Obsession sentiment, Darkroom Door robin, Wendy Vecchi script stamp
Ink - Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper - white cs
Size - 5" square
Accessories - Distress Antique Linen spray, Memory Box Double Stitch Happy Heart Cut Out die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Impress Cards and Crafts sentiment stamp, SU script stamp
Ink - Versafine Onyx Black
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Memory Box Double Stitch Happy Heart Cut Out die, Spellbinders layering rectangle die, clear embossing powder, pink alcohol inks, fun foam


12 comments:

  1. Very nice card! Thank you for playing at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two fabulous Valentine's Day cards, Susan. Love the one for your friend's son-in-law. The bird with the red stampe script is just a perfect "guy" card. Your floating alcohol inks card is AMAZING!! I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. two great cards Susan, I think the one that captures my heart is the second with that beautiful script through your die cut window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity and vintage look!! Thanks for playing along with our "LOVE" challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz!! Way to go pulling off a masculine "Love" card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both look great Susan, love the technique on the second and that fabulous bird and text on the first x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. agree with the vintage look for Vday card, so unique and different! Thank you for playing with us at C4G

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love script on cards so both of these are wonderful. The bird is a great masculine card and your floating alcohol came out beautiful. That is such a pretty card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool, love the scripty bit on the pink alcohol. Thank you for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This little bird looks like the wrens in our yard! Such a nice card for a guy! Love, love, love your Floating Alcohol Ink heart! Such a pretty heart! Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day with lots of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards, Susan. I too am a bird lover. Had many as pets. Love that robin and may have to have him. Your pink card is equally well done and love the font of that sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cards, and the stitching around the heart dies is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cards are beautiful, Susan! I was wondering how you added the nice texture to the background of the bird. I didn't think of Distress spray. The color combo is great for the masculine V-day card.
    The floating AI background of the second card is so cute! The font style of the script stamp is perfect for the occasion!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.