A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 24 February 2022

Polar Bears, a Cabin, and a Sentiment

The month is flying by and I've got some challenges I want to enter.

First up, did you know there was such a thing as Polar Bear Day?  Well there is, and part of the reason is to draw attention to the world's largest carnivore and the threat of extinction facing it.  The Day of the Month Card Club Challenge chose it for its February challenge.  And polar bears are perfect for the Paper Players wildlife challenge.


Stamped and watercoloured, then trimmed and put on a gold shimmer panel that has "merry" die cut out of it.

Moving on to Christmas Cards All Year Round where they want to see a cabin or cottage.

I kept it simple to let this lovely detailed image take centre stage.  Stamped in navy, trimmed and bordered with navy cs, and glitter added to all the snowy places.  In real life, it's lovely and sparkly.

And finally, a chance to use up a strange piece of background from my UFO box.  The Christmas Kickstart Challenge wants the sentiment to take centre stage.

I don't know what I was thinking when I made this background - I sprayed some gold spray on navy cs, then scrunched up some cling wrap on top and let it dry.  Then added two types of Frantage embossing powder (one with chunky white bits, one with smaller white and gold bits) and heat embossed from underneath.  I was going to toss it and then decided to try using it for this challenge with just a gold die cut sentiment and a few die cut gold stars.  To add a bit more interest (as if there wasn't enough going on already), I die cut the navy panel with a hemstitch rectangle and layered it over a gold card base to co-ordinate with the sentiment and stars.  So what's the verdict - a hot mess (as Jennifer McGuire likes to say) or a passable attempt at mixed media?  Believe me, you won't hurt my feelings as I'm quite ambivalent about this one!

Challenges:

Day of the Month Card Club Challenge - "Polar Bear Day"

 

The Paper Players - "Wild about Wildlife"

 

Christmas Cards All Year Round - "Cabin / Cottage"

Christmas Kickstart Challenge - "The Sentiment Takes Centre Stage"









Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black
Ink - Archival Jet Black
Paper - watercolour paper, gold shimmer and cream cs
Size - A2
Accessories - watercolour paints, TH merry die

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Crafty Individuals cabin, Penny Black sentiment
Ink - Versafine Clair Twilight
Paper - white and navy cs
Size - A2
Accessories - glitter

Supplies for card 3:
Paper - navy and gold cs
Size - A2
Accessories - gold spray, cling wrap, Stampendous Frantage embossing powders, Spellbinders hemstitch rectangle die, Memory Box star dies, Penny Black sentiment die

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful cards, Susan! I LOVE the water colored background you created for the polar bears. Such a sweet card! I am so glad you joined in my Clean and Simple challenge at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not sure which I enjoyed more, Susan, your write up or your cards. All of them are wonderful! The polar bears are just so darned cute and that wonderful scenic stamp is perfect in navy blue. I got a chuckle from your last post about “what was I thinking?” I think we were all there at some point and sometimes daily (grin). That is one of my favorite cards! While you see disaster I see a fabulous background similar to one I just purchased as a digital galaxy paper from Etsy. Love the gold die cut on that and really LOVE that background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful trio of cards, Susan! Love the effect on the card you've entered at Christmas Kickstart - looks great! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great assortment of cards and all are wonderful. The polar bears are darling with the baby reaching for the stars. That is so touching. The cabin is awesome and you outdid yourself on the navy card. It is my favorite with that stunning background of snow and gold stars, hemstitch die and gold sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan, I am glad to learn about polar bear day and your card with the bears is adorable! I love the subtly blended sky and bright stars! This is a great entry to our gallery - thanks so much for playing along at The Paper Players.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards!!! Thanks so much for participating in our CHRISTMAS CRAFTS ALL YEAR ROUND challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Stay safe and healthy!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a mixed media lover I love the third card. The background technique, the frantage and the large gold sentiment add up to a stunner of a card and no hot mess here Susan x. Super cute polar bears card and what a peaceful and classy winter scene for the second Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your polar bears are adorable with the little one reaching for the stars! I love the simplicity of your cabin scene and I think your mixed media background is perfect for showing off the wonderful gold sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card, love your cabin in the woods..
    Thank you so much for sharing and joining in with us at CCAYR...[ Christmas Crafts All Year Round]

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful Christmas card trio, Susan! I love the variety of the styles. Absolutely cute bears on the first card, beautiful and simple black and white image with lots of sparkle (2nd card), and a wonderful mixed media with the lovely cling wrap crease marks (3rd one)!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three wonderful Christmas cards Susan. LOVE those sweet polar bears staring up at the sky. And love it with the gold border. Your cabin in the woods is beautiful. I can imagine how sparkly it is in real life. Such a gorgeous image, love that you kept it simple to let it be the star. And for the last card ... AWESOME! LOVE your mixed media background. So perfect as a backdrop for your beautiful gold die-cut sentiment. Love it with the hemstitch border. So happy you saved it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card!! Love this cute image and your great coloring. Glad you joined us at DotMCC. Gundi

    ReplyDelete
  13. A trio of beauties! I do love those adorable polar bears and your blue and gold card is classy and fabulous. Thanks for playing along with the Christmas Kickstart Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.