A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 11 February 2022

A Red Valentine and a Shiny Birthday

I've got two cards to post today.  First up a Valentine card:

Using mixed media cs, I sprinkled two shades of red Brushos through the hearts on a heart stencil and then spritzed with water. After it dried, I framed it with dark red cs with a large heart die cut in the centre. 

Next up, a birthday card:


I used the "black ice" technique.  I followed this tutorial on SCS.


To make the background, I took a piece of silver foil cs and lightly dragged my black Staz-on pad down it to create some streaks. I then stamped the wildflowers with the black Staz-On and then heat set just to be sure I wouldn't smear it. Then I lightly dragged a Versamark pad over it in the same direction as the black streaks, covered with clear embossing powder, and heat set it.

I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment in white on black cs and cut it into a banner and add it to the main panel. I bordered it in black and added to a white card base.

The first card is going to these two challenges:

Addicted to CAS "Hearts"
 

Tic Tac Toe Challenge - I used the left hand vertical row - Red, Heart, Sentiment

 

The second card is going to:

Seize the Birthday "Sparkle and Shine"


 







Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - PTI sentiment
Ink - Archival Jet Black
Paper - red cs, mixed media cs
Size - A2
Accessories - large heart die, Brushos (Scarlet, Brilliant Red), TCW hearts stencil

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Unity Insightful Meadow, SU sentiment
Ink - Versamark, Staz-on black, ColorBox white
Paper - silver foil cs, black and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - clear embossing powder, white embossing powder


5 comments:

  1. Both cards are vibrant and striking and both have fabulous techniques too Susan x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another pretty valentine and a gorgeous birthday card! Two great examples of mixed media!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 great cards Susan, I've never tried the black ice technique and this looks amazing! Lots of gorgeous shimmer and shine. Thankyou too for playing along at Seize the Birthday, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is definitely a sparkle and shine card! I just hopped onto SCS and plan to watch the technique video. Thanks for playing with us at the Seize the Birthday blog...and thanks for teaching me something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another pretty Valentines card and a gorgeous and shiny birthday card, Susan! I tried the Black Ice technique once a few years ago, but it didn't turn out well. You did a wonderful job of leaving the streaks light and clean!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.