A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 24 January 2021

White Embossed Flowers

I have a huge stash of decorative papers but I would so much rather make interesting backgrounds myself than try to use up that dp!  Here's a card using a background that I learned from this video.


I used blue and green watercolour paints on black cs, just dabbing them on randomly, spritzed with a bit of water to get them to flow more, and dried. I splattered a little bit of the paint and dried again.

Then stamped the grid / text stamp over it just in white ink. When the ink was dry, I put it in my MISTI and stamped and heat embossed the flowers in white. It's a good example of how much more vibrant heat embossing with white embossing powder makes the white ink than just stamping it without heat embossing.  I trimmed the panel down and mounted it on fun foam.

I die cut the sentiment out of the leftover bit of background. When I glued it on, I didn't get it as centred as I wanted so punched three tiny dots and added them after the sentiment. They will lead into what I write on the inside.

I'm adding this card to The Flower Challenge "Embossing Heat or Dry".










Supplies:
Stamps - Jofy flowers. Lime Citron grid/text
Ink - ColorBox white
Paper - black and white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - blue and green watercolour paints, white embossing powder, Lil Inkers thank you die, fun foam

11 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, this is awesome. I must watch that video but you explained it so well. The contrast is lovely and the white being embossed really is impressive. You can see the grid and script but not nearly as well as the embossed flowers. I love that flower stamp with those fun stems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Susan, I love this technique. Great idea using the dots to centre the sentiment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The faded white of the grid makes the white outline of the flowers all the more striking, Susan. I love the background too. Thanks for sharing your card with us at The Flower Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! I haven't played with those Jofy daisies in a while and you just inspired me to try something like this. Love the white on the dark background. Fun card, Susan. I just love those stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful. Love the contrast between the plain white stamping and the white heat embossing. Such an awesome technique with striking results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great effect with the watercolour on black card and love the pop of white embossing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome, Susan! You made such a cool and unique background with watercolor and grid/text stamp! The white cute flowers beautifully pop against the dark background. Love this card.
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous background Susan. Thanks for the link to the video instructions, I will definitely try this out! LOVE how the watercolour show on black ... I had no idea that would work. So perfect with white embossing which really pops off the black. Fabulous card Susan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful effect with the watercolours on the black cardstock. Yes there is a huge difference with the white embossed and not. Wonderful card Susan, dramatic and striking x.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome background and beautiful white embossed flowers, Susan! I'd like to try this. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the look...well done.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.